Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Are bite leaders necessary?
December 07, 2010, 06:26:17 PM
Hi Brandon,

I guess Kevlar offers enough protection against GT teeth. As I'm sure you know, Zylon still stands no chance against your arch-nemesis the 'hoo.
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 07, 2010, 06:34:53 PM
I saw some Zylon for sale and nearly fainted at the price  :o. Is it hollow?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 07, 2010, 06:42:56 PM
My experience is kevlar offers no protection whatsoever against mackeral, barracuda or wahoo. My limited experience with Zylon isn't much better. if these critters are around, wire is the only way to go.

Hi Brandon,

I guess Kevlar offers enough protection against GT teeth. As I'm sure you know, Zylon still stands no chance against your arch-nemesis the 'hoo.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
December 07, 2010, 06:49:27 PM
My experience is kevlar offers no protection whatsoever against mackeral, barracuda or wahoo. My limited experience with Zylon isn't much better. if these critters are around, wire is the only way to go.

Hi Brandon,

That's correct. No substitute for nylon or anything really in respect to razor gang.

Really it's to up the BS vs diameter in comparison to nylon and as Chris said - it gives very good, sensitive action.

I've experimented myself, but not for bite leader. I would splice a loop to the end of 2 to 3 metres of Kevlar - connect/splice this to hollow braid or Bimini loop, then run a heavy shock leader up the core for half a metre with a double OH to secure.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 07, 2010, 06:50:17 PM
Here is a very quick, rough and ready example of what I meant. This is 260 lb kevlar threaded with 180 lb Sunline shock leader, uni-knotted (badly formed but I rushed - not hard to get right) to a stick. Leader all the way through the kevlar, so in effect we have a kevlar sleeve over the shock leader.

I thought the point here was a bite leader for GTs which inhale, not for Macks, Barracuda etc?

Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 07:11:24 PM by Mark Harris

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 07, 2010, 06:55:23 PM
The guys felt that with kevlar, since its more supple, it'll work the stickbaits better. And it seems to offer a little more protection when a mack or barracuda comes along.

Zylon is bloody expensive

That's usually Brandon's line Chris  ;D
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 07, 2010, 07:17:05 PM
I thought the point here was a bite leader for GTs which inhale, not for Macks, Barracuda etc?

Nope, there is no escape for Brandon in that regard.

You forgot wahoo.

Interesting picture Mark, but I would still uni it to a swivel and not directly to the lure. Tying a uni with thick kevlar really is no fun!
Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 07:18:40 PM by Kasey Leong
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 07, 2010, 07:47:31 PM
wouldn't the kevlar be very visible on a stickbait?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
December 07, 2010, 07:53:53 PM
wouldn't the kevlar be very visible on a stickbait?

Agreed, but that's when GTs are timid. There are times when they will eat anything - presented anyway desired.

That's why I had my rig in reverse - as a way to achieve high strength but near seamless transition without a friction knot.

It does make one wonder what gets the focus and how much? Considering that most GTs travel some distance, whether it is below or from behind, to eat/shadow a lure - how visible are our leaders in what is essentially a very spontaneous reaction. Visibilty of leader/Kevlar in light conditions and glare - interesting...

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 07, 2010, 08:05:36 PM

You forgot wahoo.

Interesting picture Mark, but I would still uni it to a swivel and not directly to the lure. Tying a uni with thick kevlar really is no fun!

:) . True,  but I am a bit of a masochist when it comes to knots. I recently tied a near perfect 4 turn uni in 300 lb fluoro which the other guys on the boat said was impossible :). The principle would be the same if the threaded kevlar was tied to Swivel with a split ring to the lure.

Brandon, Luke... it was really Luke's comment about Fukui-san's set up that just got me thinking here. Not saying this is smart nor that it will work, just some ideas.

Having thought about kevlar bite leaders before, I was put off by the visibility point that you make. On hearing Chris's comments, then that Kasey has used them successfully and obviously Fukui-san does, I am re-thinking :).
Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 08:20:55 PM by Mark Harris

Sam Conacher

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
December 07, 2010, 09:45:43 PM
not that i would know and nor am i talking from experience at all or anything like that.

i think and in my opinion that there is no need at all for bite leaders or twisted leaders, but in saying that i know and understand to a degree that it is debateable as we all obviously have different thought's, opinion's, e.t.c.  I will admit and i am not afraid or scared to admit it that i could be and or can be wrong..........  maybe i could be and or am wrong / maybe not.
Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 09:48:16 PM by Sam Conacher

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
December 07, 2010, 09:49:07 PM

You forgot wahoo.

:) . True,  but I am a bit of a masochist when it comes to knots. I recently tied a near perfect 4 turn uni in 300 lb fluoro which the other guys on the boat said was impossible :). The principle would be the same if the threaded kevlar was tied to Swivel with a split ring to the lure.

Brandon, Luke... it was really Luke's comment about Fukui-san's set up that just got me thinking here. Not saying this is smart nor that it will work, just some ideas.

Having thought about kevlar bite leaders before, I was put off by the visibility point that you make. On hearing Chris's comments, then that Kasey has used them successfully and obviously Fukui-san does, I am re-thinking :).

You tied a uni or a roll/nail?

I think the Kevlar can work fine in most situations, but possily a disadvantage in the visual finesse department - but there really isnt a leader system that isn't devoid of a shortcoming.

BTW, in my quest, I've moved up to boating and rock climbing kevlars i.e. 1000lb+ ...I've still had issues finding the perfect Kevlar for fishing but what i've got at the moment works adequately for the timebeing. This gave me the best of having a near impervious connection between braid and shock leader. I retained the shock leader for it's opaque properties in terms of presentation to the lure itself.