Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Low Budget GT Reels
December 11, 2010, 10:53:22 AM
Then I suggest you take it back to where you bought it from or get someone to look at it. I reckon there's a washer/shim missing from under the bearing/bushing that support the worm or the cap to the pawl that goes into the worm is loose. Otherwise they will have about 2mm of play.

Damian Fantozzi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 12, 2010, 09:04:00 PM
Hon-su

thanks for the reply i just measured the play and it is in fact 2mm, if thats normal im now happy

cheers

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 12, 2010, 10:01:51 PM
NO!! 2m is far to much. Normal is max 1mm. The main gear needs to be re-shimmed. Otherwise gear wear will be accelerated.

As for the line lay.....that would be its worm drive.....something is playing up, either the worm itself or the pawl damaged. Get someone to check it out.

IF possible, can you please post a pic up of the spool with the wavy line lay?

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 13, 2010, 02:08:31 PM
Kevin,
I'm still trying to break 2 Daiwa sealine bull 6000's so I can get a "real" reel. But to date they are working fine. 1 is up to about 15 GT's. I doubt they would last a week on a charter, but for incidental use they have survived. I think a lot of the mid range reels will do OK, such as saragosa and saltist. I also have a pflueger that has also done OK on GT's (can't remember the size)
Like Travis said "No GT's around Yeppoon" but a GT rig also works really well for mackerel, tuna and other pelagics.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 13, 2010, 02:35:14 PM
I'm waiting for someone to say it..........

Kevin Hulse

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 13, 2010, 08:32:55 PM
Thanks for all your posts guys, had a decent look at the Saragosa on the weekend and did notice the play in the spool. Not sure how it would affect the performance?

Just for the record fishing out of Yeppoon = using the Roslyn Bay Marina to launch the boat. Not looking to to break any records just looking to do a few trips a year and have a bit of fun.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 13, 2010, 10:46:59 PM
A certain amount of play is there in every Saragosa Kevin and it will not effect the performance - it is part of the engineering design.
Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 11:17:35 PM by Mark Harris

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 14, 2010, 09:23:44 AM
Kevin,
Send me a pm and I'll see if I can get you started around yeppoon

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 14, 2010, 09:40:37 AM

Ok...I will bite... ;D

The Daiwa Sealine Bulls are IMO a real waste of money.
My mate killed his fishing for snapper....(and I witnessed this happen within a month).....
GT's would laugh at the reel.

Get the Saragosa over this reel any day..!

Pete
Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 11:42:39 AM by Peter Morris

Damian Fantozzi

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 14, 2010, 10:59:33 AM
I called shimano and they reckon 2mm is within the manufacturer tolerance.

Im going to have a crack at a few albacore, samsons and maybe a kingiein January, so in february ill either be sending it in for a service or for a warranty repair.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
December 14, 2010, 11:42:35 AM

Ok...I will bite... ;D

The Daiwa Sealine Bulls are IMO a real waste of money.
My mate killed his fishing for snapper....(and I witnessed this happen within a month).....
GT's would laugh at the reel.

Give the Saragosa over this reel any day..!

Pete

Graham isnt talking through his hat here, he uses the sealine bulls to catch GTs, i know this as a fact.  Not everyone that wants to chase gts is looking for 50kg models in the wilds of where ever or has access to stellas.  For those looking to have a go at popping for 15-25kg models on a budget the price difference between a sealine bull and saragosa 14k might be a fair amount of $.  If it works for Graham, it will work for others so in a thread on budget gt reels i think it has a place.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 14, 2010, 02:24:48 PM
Some Truth to that Travis,

However I would never recommend to someone 'A Daiwa Sealine Bull'....over something like a 'Shimano Spheros or Saragosa'.....

Why..?......Because when it comes to warranty issues and service Shimano leave Daiwa for Dead..!!!...

Pete

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 14, 2010, 04:12:21 PM
Hi Guys,
Like I said I'm waiting for the daiwas to give up.......still waiting. I 've been down to the tackle store many times checking out stellas, saltigas and twin powers. I have even stopped rinsing the bulls in fresh water after trips. Hopefully it won't be long now until I can buy another reel.
Line capacity is good, retrieve speed is good, drag is OK provided you don't want to pull your arms off (needed a couple of tune ups)
If you can't afford a sports car, doesn't mean you have to ride a bike!

Photo of typical Bull victim attached.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 14, 2010, 04:20:35 PM
Love it Graham :).

A friend of mine has similar attitude to his Spheros - several sizeable Dogtooths have failed to break it for him  ;) .

Wong Kai Zhee

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 14, 2010, 04:58:04 PM
one excellent choice (if available) is the Ryobi Safari 5000 (made in japan model. those made in china are crap).

its a first rate reel but never became really popular, probably due to somewhat limited line capacity and lack of ARB (works on dogs).

i have used 2 extensively and really cant fault them.

they are great value, especially 2nd hand, when they can be purchased for <400sin including spare spool.