Gavin Ng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
need some feedback on some stickbaits
December 13, 2010, 02:10:51 PM
Hey guys, just trying to collect up on smaller stickbaits for gt's and kingfish ranging from the 70-140 gram range.

I already have the heru wahoo and uula, got some shibuki lipped and lipless and orion bigfoots on the way,

Was interested to hear your thoughts on fcllabo squidpens and magrove studio volardo (level sinking) models. Do they swim well? do they have a good action? are they easy to work or a nightmare to get the swim?

Do you guys have any other recomendations for deadly poppers in that price range?

Cheers

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
Re: need some feedback on some stickbaits
December 13, 2010, 04:16:58 PM
Gavin

I recently fished with Andrew Pannesi in NZ for kings, he had great success with the squidpen in the smaller size (I think its a 140) - didn't seem too dificult to work either!  Since then I've palyed around with both sizes in my local waters (nothing caught on them yet) I find the smaller size really easy to work at a range of speeds (using either tow point).  I'm still struggling to find the right retreive to get the larger one to work well for anything but dead slow walk the dog retreive.

Hope this helps.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 13, 2010, 04:26:33 PM
On the GT front (sadly, I can't speak with any experience for Kingfish), I have had success with the Adhek Long Goby 120 grams. Just reel it in very fast!  Seems to work best in very flat shallow water. Quite a popular surface stick in flat Australian waters I think?

For a sub-surface swimmer, I will not rant on about the Penipen yet again. It is brilliant and very under-exposed though  ;).

I think you have chosen well with the Wahoo, Ulua and Bigfoot.
Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 04:38:54 PM by Mark Harris

Anesh Patel

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 13, 2010, 07:31:03 PM
I can recommend The Hammerhead Cherry Pai's (85g), FCL CSP 180 (90g), Fisherman Delta's  various weights, Sevenseas Valkrja II (60g), Orion Nambas (140g), and of course the Carpenter Gamma's BC75g and GT105g, GT120g for working well on Kingfish.
The FCL Labo CSP's are easy to get hold of here in Aussie and are easy on the wallet compare to the other lures mentioned, and also all the above lures are fairly easy to work, some work better in rough conditions than others.
Mangrove Studio Volador's  65g(Floating version) also works well.

Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:12:37 PM by Anesh Patel

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
December 13, 2010, 09:09:21 PM
 Im not keen on floating stickbaits if landbased on the rocks. If its windy and choppy they can get dragged around a bit and harder to work. That being said, my record on kings on stickbaits is pretty crap so now that I have more and a rod to use with them will be giving them a decent bash.

Andrew Pennisi

December 14, 2010, 12:24:54 AM
Yes Peter the 140 was the one, great little lure.

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
December 14, 2010, 03:43:18 PM
Sorry for the spelling Andrew - its juz soe hard 2 git god hilp isn tit!

Andrew Pennisi

December 15, 2010, 12:02:47 AM
I've seen worse Peter!!