chris coates

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Twisted leader?
February 15, 2011, 07:53:24 PM
Hey I'm sure this is a topic most ppl rain of hearing about but I'm just having some truble finding info. I wanted to know if I'm using 80ld braid and using a bimmini to twisted leader should I make the leader out of 60lb or heaver? Asuming that the twisted leader is two times as strong as just a singel strand (eg 2x60lb = 120lb) is this ok? Or should I be using heaver leader? Like 80lb? Any Info is welcome thanks  ;D
Hunt Smart Fish Hard

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Twisted leader?
February 15, 2011, 08:32:23 PM
I don't use twisted leaders any more but when I was using them I used between 100lb - 130lb for PE8 & PE10 mainlines. Depending on the terrain you're fishing 60lb twisted could be considered fairly light. Most single strand leaders are 170lb and above.

chris coates

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 16, 2011, 12:23:57 AM
chears bro. what leader system do you use know?
Hunt Smart Fish Hard

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 16, 2011, 02:24:19 AM
chears bro. what leader system do you use know?

Hi Chris, I mainly use the PR friction knot now and occasionally dabble with the FG but I'm more confident with the former. I usually use 170lb to 240lb single strand.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 16, 2011, 08:19:59 AM
if you're fishing for GTs, then I'd suggest you think of using at least 100lb leader. My favorite leader for twisted leaders used to be the Penn 10X. It was tough as hell and actually a real mongrel to make twisted leaders from but they made for great twisties when you got there.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
February 16, 2011, 08:53:23 AM
Not that i've had any trouble but for some reason I regard 100lb as "light" for a twisty, 130lb as standard and 170lb heavy.

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 01, 2011, 06:41:27 PM
I use 80lb braid to twisted 80lb mono.  Have caught hundreds of GT's without a problem.  Mostly in the 10 - 25kg range. 
Cairns Bommie Basher

mark kyriacou

March 02, 2011, 12:01:48 AM
Brandon you mentioned penn 10x for twisted leaders what would that be like for single strand leaders or other recomendations
thanks

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 02, 2011, 08:12:41 AM
Hi Mark
I wouldn't use 10X if I was using a friction knot. It's no worries if you're using another form of knot that isn't dependent on friction but I would find a softer leader for a friction knot. You will find guys who will tell you that they use friction knots on very hard mono leaders and even fluorocarbon without any problem but it's a risk I am not willing to take. A frction knot is dependent on the braid "biting" into the leader itself. It will bite into very hard mono leader but it can also slip more easily. Fluorocarbon is such that braid doesn't bite into it very well at all. In such cases, it is the tightness of the knot and the burnt end holding it together. Once it starts to slip, its a goner.

mark kyriacou

March 02, 2011, 01:02:20 PM
thanks brandon yeh i use a FG knot so i will have to find some other options thanks for your help

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 02, 2011, 01:09:32 PM
I use an FG too and tend to use YGK Gailis, Fisherman or Varivas shock leader myself