Chris Moisson

Re: Wilson Venom rods.
April 18, 2011, 12:20:10 PM
I'm also a beginner and I'm interested in the Wilson Venom Popper PE10 rod to match to a Saragosa 18000 and 80lb braid, rod felt real nice and I like the curve through out the whole rod. Has anyone used this rod yet? my other option is a t-curve GT special, but at first glance I think I prefer the venom. any thoughts?

roderick walmsley

April 18, 2011, 05:46:38 PM
Chris

Mate the Venom rods have performed quite well to date. We have the jig rods and the popping rods on our Charter boat RU4REEL that operates out of the Tweed and as I said previously the best fish on them to date is 46kg. They are probably a bit more forgiving on the angler than the TCurve but the T curve may have a bit more stopping power. We havnt managed to break one yet even though we have giving it a good go. The best advice I could give you is to source one of each and have a few casts even if its in the local creek or river, this will help you to make up your mind as everyone's taste in rods is often different and what is often good for the goose is not always good for the gander.

Cheers

Rod

Chris Moisson

April 18, 2011, 07:01:30 PM
Chris

Mate the Venom rods have performed quite well to date. We have the jig rods and the popping rods on our Charter boat RU4REEL that operates out of the Tweed and as I said previously the best fish on them to date is 46kg. They are probably a bit more forgiving on the angler than the TCurve but the T curve may have a bit more stopping power. We havnt managed to break one yet even though we have giving it a good go. The best advice I could give you is to source one of each and have a few casts even if its in the local creek or river, this will help you to make up your mind as everyone's taste in rods is often different and what is often good for the goose is not always good for the gander.

Cheers

Rod

Thanks mate, I've tried my mates t-curve and found it a bit heavy and a bit too stiff and unforgiving for my liking......please correct me if I'm wrong but when you mention the t-curve has more stopping power, isn't it the amount of drag you have on your reel that determines the stopping power of both rods? To me the t-curve seems a bit harder on the angler whereas the venom seems to be more forgiving due to the smoother bend throughout the entire rod?

again I'm only new to the game so all advise is appreciated

Chris.

Andrew Smart

April 18, 2011, 07:56:27 PM
This is a Synit PE10 Casting rod,may be different spec blank to what you get in OZ though I'm not sure.Definitley takes some punishment,you can "drive it like you stole it"  8)

roderick walmsley

April 19, 2011, 01:40:59 PM
Chris

Stopping power is probably not the correct word- what I was trying to say is that when the fish takes the lure and heads away from the boat a low rod angle will compensate for a softer rod while the angler can still put a lot of pressure on the fish. When the fish slows up and you want to put line on your reel, you will still need to move the fish with the rod to pump and wind. If the rod simply absorbs this effert you will struggle to turn the fish and keep its head coming towards you if your rod is not up to the task. Once again a lower rod angle will help you to a certain degree but as the fish gets closer to the boat the rod comes more into play than the reel. Probably something that is a bit difficult to put into words and have the exact meaning passed on. The best bet is to play with a few different rods(as you have already started doing) until you find one that suits your budget and your preference. Just remember that GT popping rods were never really designed to be very forgiving on the angler , but more so to pull very large fish away from cover and most rods will still be fairly brutal to fish with all day.Good Luck with it.

Rod

Nathan Green

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
April 28, 2011, 02:04:06 PM
Chris, I'm new to the game too, please hurry up and buy a rod so we can go fishing and get better at it! Greeny

William Espina

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 30, 2011, 01:11:59 AM
does the the synit/wilson venom  rods have plans of getting dealers in the philippines?
jigging and popping are fast catching on here.. we need more variety of tackle to choose from.

jigjigan na!

Glenn Travis

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 15, 2011, 08:34:35 AM
I'm also a beginner and I'm interested in the Wilson Venom Popper PE10 rod to match to a Saragosa 18000 and 80lb braid, rod felt real nice and I like the curve through out the whole rod. Has anyone used this rod yet? my other option is a t-curve GT special, but at first glance I think I prefer the venom. any thoughts?

Hey Chris,
I have the venom PE10 popping rod. It is a fantastic rod for using stickbaits up to 190g. It has a very flexi tip so you can really work the stickbait. As for popping it does struggle as its not as broom stick like to pull the popper through the water, but it will work a 125g popper nicely.

Cheers Glenn

Jamie Moir

July 15, 2011, 08:52:50 AM
does the the synit/wilson venom  rods have plans of getting dealers in the philippines?
jigging and popping are fast catching on here.. we need more variety of tackle to choose from.

jigjigan na!

There is no Synit/Wilson Venoms.

There is a Synit Venom, a Wilson Venom and even a Berkley venom, but they have nothing to do with each other but the name.