• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 10:48:27 PM by Dan Wulf

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:

Hi Dan ,

This is the website of the very famous captain Luke fished with in Japan : http://bigdipper-amami.com/ , not sure if his location is anywhere near the area you are going to be in Japan but if you can get on the Big Dipper , it's a worthwhile effort . Meanwhile Luke may be able to shed more light on The Big Dipper n how to get a seat on one of his charter , Capt. Fukui Kenzaburo is definitely the top guy in Japan to get you a big GT .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi Dan ,

This is the website of the very famous captain Luke fished with in Japan : http://bigdipper-amami.com/ , not sure if his location is anywhere near the area you are going to be in Japan but if you can get on the Big Dipper , it's a worthwhile effort . Meanwhile Luke may be able to shed more light on The Big Dipper n how to get a seat on one of his charter , Capt. Fukui Kenzaburo is definitely the top guy in Japan to get you a big GT .

Jon .
Hi Jon,

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I will obtain more information on Big Dipper and Capt. Fukui Kenzaburo.

BTW - if Admins find it appropriate, they are very welcome to move this thread to section "The Reef's Edge". As it appears this is not a report, but a request regarding charter possibilities. Thanks!

Best wishes,
Dan

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:

Okinawa is 2 hours or thereabouts and Amami Island is 1 hour from Kagoshima, all with daily flights.

Tokara is very possible and very good season during July. You would need to fly to Amami in order to fish Tokara with Captain Fukui. There is another boat in which you catch a long-haul ferry from Kagoshima Prefecture (12 hours or thereabouts) to one of the Tokara islands. I certainly prefer Captain Fukui, irrespective of not fishing with anyone else before, because I can fly to Amami and then get on the Big Dipper which takes roughly 2 hours to arrive to the Tokara Islands from Amami.

You will need to enquire NOW because it is not unsual for the Big Dipper to be booked out 6 - 12 months in advance during all slots. Even then, you will need to join a group.

I will be fishing Tokara for 2 weeks in July, so I will enquire directly with Fukui-San if there is additional vacancy for you.

Trips are 2.5 - 3 days each in which the Big Dipper must return to Amami island for more fuel. Tokara is very remote with minimal facilities. The fishing I would describe as difficult and not for beginners - but there are BIG fish there that will be caught with perserverance. Seas can be rough but the Big Dipper is a very seaworthy vessel perfect for GT popping and Captain Fukui's skills and courtesy could be described nothing less than exemplary.

----

Most charters are based in the south of the island and acustom to individual bookings to make up a group of anglers.

Maeda-San visits southern Okinawa and out to Kerama - The Kerama Islands is where Kozo Okubo recently caught a 70kg GT on popper, and claimed as an IGFA record. There seems to be a healthy populations of 20 - 40kg GTs, with the possiblity of much bigger also available. The Keramas are approx 1 - 2 hours by boat from Naha.

The northern part of Okinawa is home to a charter operator who is also field tester for Shell-Shaping Lures. He was extremely professional and the scenery is superb in the north along the big cape.

I will ask David Clumpner for more information and contact details as I have difficulty translating their websites.

--------------

You can also fish from Tanegashima, which is way more accessible than the other options listed.

There are big GTs caught there every year but they are few and far between due to pressure.

I will have a contact for you soon...

Luke

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi Luke,

Fishing with Big Dipper/Capt. Fukui Kenzaburo from Amami sounds as an excellent choice.

I have sent you a PM.

Best wishes,
Dan

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
For the non-Japanese readers Dan, any chance of revealing how much you paid per slot?

I guess the prices are on the website but for the linguistically challenged like me.....  ???

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
For the non-Japanese readers Dan, any chance of revealing how much you paid per slot?

I guess the prices are on the website but for the linguistically challenged like me.....  ???
Hi Mark,

3 nights, 4 days -> 145.000 JPY. Due to the use of text-based graphics, the site is not easy for non-Japanese readers. I have made an attempt to do a google.translate of the relevant page:
http://translate.google.dk/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=da&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbigdipper-amami.com%2Ftokaratp.html

Best wishes,
Dan

Paul Vogl

• Fusilier
  • Liked:

At around $1700AU, that seems ver reasonable for what Luke describes as peak season. Dan, does this include lodgegings?

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:

At around $1700AU, that seems ver reasonable for what Luke describes as peak season. Dan, does this include lodgegings?
Hi Paul,

As I understand - when staying overnight outside Amami Island (Tokara Islands), it is not allowed to sleep on the boat. Clients have to cover separate expenses for a guesthouse. The price is 5000-7500 JPY - all meals included. The specific price depends on the guesthouse/island. When staying overnight in Amami, clients sleep in Big Dipper's guesthouse - and the costs seem to be included in the package (including meals).

Dan

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Many thanks Dan.

That is definitely cheaper than I expected!

Paul Vogl

• Fusilier
  • Liked:

Thanks Dan....Still a very reasonable price to fish with a legend in Tokara's Monster Class waters. I look forward to the report