Kyle Stacey

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Actual drag figures for Stella 20,000
March 24, 2011, 05:53:29 PM
Just a quick question about the real drag figures for a stella 20,000 with a full spool of line, from what I understand these reels and saltiga etc have max drag measured with an empty spool at the arbour. We tried it on a trip to the montebello's last year and although I dont recall the actual figures but with a full spool the figure is quite a bit lower than the figures quoted by the company and some anglers claiming 25kg from full to empty spool.

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Actual drag figures for Stella 20,000
March 24, 2011, 09:05:40 PM
Kyle, 'Full Drag' doesn't really matter at all, I don't think anyone screws the drag knob down all the way for a water ski! What's important IMO is smooth drag at the settings you're comfortable with (eg 10-15kg). Heard and seen a few macho guys crumble to their knees fishing ridiculous drag settings on rods they could not manage! Stick with what you can manage and forget about locked drags, let the locked drags stay in the bream scene!  :P
AKA: Sunny

Kyle Stacey

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 24, 2011, 09:50:54 PM
Sunny, I certainly wouldnt be trying to run locked drags but there are people out there that believe they are running 25kgs of drag and having tried to achieve these results on a stella 20,000 with a studio ocean mark spool full of pe8 and we didnt get close to 25kg.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 24, 2011, 11:08:16 PM
I suppose the point is of academic interest, if of no practical use as Sunny explained :). I will stick to 10-12 kgs of initial thanks  :P

George Relf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 25, 2011, 10:25:46 AM
It is one reason why people might choose a stella over another brand

You are advertising and trying to make a 'point of difference' from the other reel that might be of interest (even if you don't intend to run the max drag) so it is good to know that it will do what it states  :)

Smooth drag is definitely important, but some days you might want to be superman  :D

Vasko Dimoski

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 25, 2011, 05:32:54 PM
I agree company's should not advertise misleading information to sell a product a Stella 20000 can not get 25kg with a full spool so why make out it can as far as full spool or empty spool they should be test with a full spool in my opinion as no body fishes with a empty spool of line by that time the game is over and i also do think a smooth drag is more important but at around $1000 each for one of these reels they all should have a very smooth drag as this is one of the most important parts of a fishing reel that's what made me by a Stella over saltiga the smooth drag straight out of the box both great reels but one has a better drag out of the box  ;)

Scott Williams

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 27, 2011, 09:53:13 PM
The simple solution would be to advertise full spool max drag capacity and (near) empty max drag capacity, to be completely transparent.

Agree that it could be, and probably is a selling point that may sway someone towards a particular brand, but you would have to assume that the other large manufacturer is measuring and stating their max drag capacity in a similar manner.

I read somewhere a while ago the difference in max drag between full spool and near empty spool, and it was over double the kg's, someone may have an equation ???

Scott.