Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What's so special about this stupid fish?
September 21, 2007, 08:15:33 AM
I have been posting this one around the place but to me, it looks like nothing more than a big carp - and we all know what they're worth locally!   :D

It really makes sense too - this fish is meant to represent long life and what do they do? They kill the poor bugger and eat him!!  ???

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Thursday/National/20070920084812/Article/index_html
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: What's so special about this stupid fish?
September 21, 2007, 11:09:52 AM
Hi Brandon ,

That is South East Asian Mahseer , lives in the rapid of the freshwater river and abound around the waterfall , a good fighting fish and a prime target for flyfishing enthusiasts but can be caught by using small minnow and spoon using spinning and baitcasting outfit . It's not a carp as you suggest , this specie is a predator in freshwater rivers of South East Asia and we get them in Sumatra n Borneo .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 21, 2007, 11:12:33 AM
Oh well, different strokes etc.  

Most of my mates reckon I'm mad for devoting time fishing for vermin trevally.  The cost of lures and gear is plainly rediculous, they are rubbish to eat, look pretty plain (compared to most reef fish) and they just get thrown back after being caught.  

steve  
Cairns Bommie Basher

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 21, 2007, 11:19:02 AM
Yeah Stephen, and they put a big smile on your face and keeps the heart pumping!!! ;D ;D ;D
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 21, 2007, 12:14:03 PM
thanks for the detail, John. It looks like a carp though - not very complimentary for a good fighting fish!

Hi Brandon ,

That is South East Asian Mahseer , lives in the rapid of the freshwater river and abound around the waterfall , a good fighting fish and a prime target for flyfishing enthusiasts but can be caught by using small minnow and spoon using spinning and baitcasting outfit . It's not a carp as you suggest , this specie is a predator in freshwater rivers of South East Asia and we get them in Sumatra n Borneo .

Jon .

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 21, 2007, 12:29:20 PM
Hi Brandon ,

The Malaysian calls it " kelah " , here is an image from Borneo with the dayak boys .

Jon .

thanks for the detail, John. It looks like a carp though - not very complimentary for a good fighting fish!

Hi Brandon ,

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 21, 2007, 01:13:48 PM
are they any good to eat, Jon?

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 21, 2007, 02:51:02 PM
Hi Brandon ,

The meat is white , I ate one ( BBQ ) the last time I went fishing to the freshwater river in the jungle of East Borneo province , taste nice and I am sure with good chef , the meat would taste even better . There are stories of poaching in Taman Negara of Malaysia for this species using helicopter to transport the fish to the market , so must be some demands who will pay high price for the meat . In the place where I fish , the dayak tribes will demand you take only a few for consumptions and release the rest to fight another day . Now who is going to argue with them , dayaks are confirmed to be headhunters , occasionally .

Jon .

are they any good to eat, Jon?

Lance Ng

November 02, 2007, 05:26:58 AM
Hi Guys,

this fish, as Pak Jon has mentioned, is commonly referred to as "kelah" by them locals. It's also known by several other names, such as malayan mahseer, river carp, south east asian mahseer etc etc..

It is one of very few predatorial river carp (yes it is a carp, belonging to the cyprinidae family) occuring only in rivers of moderate to fast flow.

http://www.fishbase.com/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=5436

It is a close relative of the well sought-after gamefish, the Golden Mahseer of India
http://www.fishbase.com/Photos/ThumbnailsSummary.php?ID=9194

Both classified with the scientific name "Tor" - like caranx ignobilis & caranx lubugris both share the "caranx".

It is prized as it is not only a worthy gamefish pound-for-pound, but also tastes fantastic (when I 1st tried eating it, I has difficulty believing that a freshwater fish could so darn good!)

Besides being a great-tasting fish, nobody has had success breeding this fish in captivity, thus limiting the supply. Therefore, price of this fish do go up to more than 40 bucks per kg.

stupid fish eh...?  ;)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 02, 2007, 07:46:27 AM
I was right - it is just a BIG carp and nothing more  :D
 Lance, you can see we have a very high regard for carp in this country!  ;D

Lance Ng

November 02, 2007, 05:51:10 PM
Oh yea Brandon, I do know that Carp & AUS go waaaaaay back.. quite a bond formed i should say.. as them introduced critters displace native species from some holes and help anglers learn snowboarding by eroding banks enough for a fun landslide eh?

Just the same Brandon, give some locals in certain parts of South East Asia a marine catfish & a cod to choose from for eating.. u might not find the choice logical!