Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: FG knot in ultra light lines..
June 23, 2011, 05:34:40 PM
Hi Jon,
I'm quite unfamiliar with twisted leader, just got some questions.
Do you always have a bite leader when using twisted leader?
What knots do you tie?
If you want 10lb leader, do you twist 5lb mono/fluoro?

I don't bother using friction knot when dealing with light line , I use twisted leader for such task .

Jon .

Hi Jason ,

Twisted leader is covered n great depth in this this forum , just use search function to look for it . As for bite leader , I only use it when targetting fish with small teeth that can gnaw your jeader such as toman in freshwater and YFT in saltwater . When dealing with toothy critters such as narrowbarred mackerel or wahoo , etc. , nothing less than wire will be good enough .

I am not that particular with the rating the leader , as long as it flows freely thru the guides , I use the thickest possible and when I fish PE3 , it's quite often I use #7 size ( approx 28 lbs. ) which I have plenty of and it means the total breaking strain is close to 60 lbs , if multiplying it by a factor of 2 making it such .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Jason Chiu

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 23, 2011, 09:19:56 PM
I see, thanks Jon! Twisted leader looks a bit troublesome, I'll stick to FGs for now =D. Sorry for the topic hijack

For lighter lines definitely need the extra turns for the FG to hold. I tried tying 20lb braid to 8lb leader before (for fun) and it failed; couldn't get it to grip at all. 8lb braid to 8lb leader worked fine though, just need extra care making sure it's tight.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 23, 2011, 09:50:14 PM
I see, thanks Jon! Twisted leader looks a bit troublesome, I'll stick to FGs for now =D. Sorry for the topic hijack

For lighter lines definitely need the extra turns for the FG to hold. I tried tying 20lb braid to 8lb leader before (for fun) and it failed; couldn't get it to grip at all. 8lb braid to 8lb leader worked fine though, just need extra care making sure it's tight.

Twisted knot is easy , use the bailarm of your spinning reel to create twisted line and then just pinch the center of the twisted line and you should get the twisted leader , I just crimp the loose ends to create loop where the splitring will be used for connection with the eyelet of the lure , there is nothing to it .

Light line is very difficult to get a good grip using friction knot , fluorocarbon leader is even more difficult to get the required grip .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .