• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
GT Popping in India
September 21, 2007, 10:59:16 AM
I'm not sure about what these islands are known as collectively? Anyone got any idea or know of any potential for this area?

lonhro

Re: GT Popping in India
September 21, 2007, 03:44:26 PM
HI Luke,

I believe they are called the Andaman Nikobar Emerald Islands. GTs in the Area i think so.... Getting there i dont think there is many companies in india that do it but i have been looking into it too and found limited information. 
When i discussed it with Brandon a while back he Raised a good point in India GTS would be food to C&R i dont think so. I know one thing for sure they don't have many Stellas or Saltigas or DFs in INDIA so stuffed if i know how they would stop the GTs.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 21, 2007, 03:54:44 PM
Hi guys ,

Andaman n Nicobar groups are in the different part of Indian continent , specifically the eastern part closer to Kra ithmus of Thailand ( where Phuket is ) and the northern tip of Sumatra toward the north west .

The place in question is to the north of Maldives in the southern tip of Indian continent .

Jon .

HI Luke,

I believe they are called the Andaman Nikobar Emerald Islands. GTs in the Area i think so.... Getting there i dont think there is many companies in india that do it but i have been looking into it too and found limited information. 
When i discussed it with Brandon a while back he Raised a good point in India GTS would be food to C&R i dont think so. I know one thing for sure they don't have many Stellas or Saltigas or DFs in INDIA so stuffed if i know how they would stop the GTs.
Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 05:23:21 PM by Jon Li
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 21, 2007, 04:58:14 PM
unlucky if you're a GT in those parts, I reckon!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 21, 2007, 05:27:36 PM
Hi Brandon ,

Maldives is doing just fine with their GTs , I am sure Indian government is doing the same with certain areas of their country , afterall they are a major world economic power now very much the same as China .

Jon .

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 21, 2007, 06:50:06 PM
Jon - I really don't want to turn this into a political debate so I'll stop now.

lonhro

September 21, 2007, 07:14:26 PM

Yea Lets Not Start on The Indian's  ::)

Can't Believe got that one wrong.
I do happen to believe and Agree with Brandon

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 22, 2007, 12:11:53 AM
Brandon / Randy ,

It's not meant to be poluted by politic .

Jon .

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
September 22, 2007, 06:04:19 PM
Hi Brandon ,

Maldives is doing just fine with their GTs , I am sure Indian government is doing the same with certain areas of their country , afterall they are a major world economic power now very much the same as China .

Jon .

I don't think I understand you Jon.

Just because India and China are economic powers doesn't mean a thing - if anything, both countries are some of the worst problem offenders for pollution and environmental preservation amongst many other things. I'm not trying to start an arguement because my country certainly isn't an angel either.

Earl Hamilton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 23, 2007, 05:47:40 PM
Hi Guys,
Did a bit of Googling on this. Its the Lakshadweep Archipelago, and commonly refered to as the Laccadive Islands. Located at the clost to the mainland 220 Km off the Kerala coast.The archipelago consists of 36 islands in 12 atolls, 3 reefs and 5 submerged banks. Only nine of the 36 islands are inhabited. Main crop apparently is coconut. Total population for the region is abot 60,000.
Aggati has an airport, flights from Kochi, Kerala, and Emaculam (Cochin), connections from Bangalore. India Airlines and a private airline Kinfisher. Flights to other Islands in the area are by helicopter from Agatti. The Government is actively promoting tourism in the area as a means of income. Tourists need a visa, some Islands are not permited to foreign tourists. There is a tourism web site www.lakshadweeptourism.com.  There is scuba diving, and apparently already game fishing operations in the area.
They look very interesting, and India does seem to harbour some forgoten corners that are left in quite a natural state of pristine existance, so there may be some good fishing here as it does not seem to have much of a local population to plunder the goods, and its a bit out of the way for the mainland to bother much.
I didnt know any of this 30 minutes ago !!!
Earl.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 25, 2007, 08:16:20 PM
Hi Brandon ,

Jon .

I don't think I understand you Jon.

Just because India and China are economic powers doesn't mean a thing - if anything, both countries are some of the worst problem offenders for pollution and environmental preservation amongst many other things. I'm not trying to start an arguement because my country certainly isn't an angel either.

Hi Luke ,

USA too , won't even discuss it at the U.N. in New York but choose to discuss it elsewhere on it's own turf in Washington DC where they can buly everyone concerning Global Warming . USA won't even sign the Kyoto Agreement on carbon emission but I think the duscussion should stop here .

Jon . 

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 25, 2007, 10:08:38 PM
guys - let's give the politics away and focus on more pleasant subject matters. I've seen too many sites go completely off the rails once this starts.

Earl - thanks for bringing it back on topic. Maybe there is some potential in the area Earl has googled for the rest of us and some untapped GT fishery is waiting. Randy, we're volunteering you to find out!  ;D

Darran Davis

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
September 25, 2007, 11:02:48 PM
Hi Guys,
Maybe I can add my 2 cents worth here, I have done a lot of fishing in India and have this to say about the Lakshaweep chain of Islands,
is it is very difficult to get a decent boat there
Too much local regulation in terms of restricted areas
Fishing licences are hard to obtain
Many websites advertise fishing but it is off local dunghi's (dugout canoes) and all they do is troll with a rapala tied to the back of the boat. The boats engines go only 1 way i.e forward!!
When I first fished in the Andamans it was the same however there people are more aware now, the  Lakshadweep Chain has apart from this suffered from high water temperatures over the last few years as such the GT caught there are often no larger than 5-8 kgs, I may be wrong but this what I have from the reports form the area.

A few pictures of the fish I have landed in the Andamans on popper are below:

Stephen Wan

September 25, 2007, 11:18:24 PM
Wow! Nice fish. What rod are you using??

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 25, 2007, 11:46:15 PM
Wow! Nice fish. What rod are you using??

May I volunteer ?

The one in the mouth is a Carpenter WV80XH , the other in the rod holder is another Carpenter and most likely the same rod , the one being used to fight the fish , that is a different rod .

Jon .