roderick walmsley

yellowfin on popper
January 08, 2011, 06:42:30 PM

Hi guys

Thought I would share a pic of a Yellowfin I got throwing poppers for gts on a recent trip, added a spaniard a few throws later the fish were caught doing a bit of reconasance work for future charters

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: yellowfin on popper
January 08, 2011, 07:01:25 PM
Nice. Heru Cubera strikes yet again.

roderick walmsley

January 09, 2011, 12:09:07 PM
Mark

Yeah it was a bit lumpy on the day and the 125 cubera holds in the water better when popping

Rod

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 09, 2011, 12:31:14 PM
The Cubera certainly kick arse! here is one of Dave Foley at White Is NZ last week.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

roderick walmsley

January 09, 2011, 07:08:14 PM
We get a lot of follows from kings here on the Gold Coast and then tend to switch them with a stick bait or soft plastic depending on their mood. The popper will bring them up off the bottom though a long way. Here is one that I caught a couple of weeks ago that was switched with a stickbait. Only a small one in NZ standards but at 15kg it is a reasonable fish for here.

Sam Conacher

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
January 09, 2011, 07:34:52 PM
nice Roderick,

just wondering,

did you get the spanish and yellowfin on the Gold Coast?

roderick walmsley

January 09, 2011, 07:39:30 PM
Sam

Actually they were off the Tweed mate Southern Gold Coast to be more precise we have been catching quite a few spaniards on the poppers lately.

Rod

Sam Conacher

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
January 09, 2011, 07:55:08 PM
cheers.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 09, 2011, 09:02:22 PM
Sam

Actually they were off the Tweed mate Southern Gold Coast to be more precise we have been catching quite a few spaniards on the poppers lately.

Rod

OOooo! I like the sound of that Rod, were you site casting or trying around bait or structure?
Caught a couple of Spaniards on bait around Tuna bustups last Thursday off Mooloolaba, but no touches on Lures two days before :-\, that's Fishing  ;D

Pete & Paul, we might have to visit Roderick on the Goldy :)!!
Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 09:07:43 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

roderick walmsley

January 10, 2011, 07:07:16 AM
Greg

Casting around structure mate, just working a few of the inshore reefs. The popper fishing is very dependent on boat traffic though. These fish were caught on xmas day morning so boat traffic was a non event.  ;D

Roderick
RU4REEL CHARTERS

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
January 10, 2011, 08:55:42 AM
Good Work Rod,nice fish from all on the Cubera..

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 13, 2011, 08:40:49 PM
Sam

Rod

OOooo! I like the sound of that Rod, were you site casting or trying around bait or structure?
Caught a couple of Spaniards on bait around Tuna bustups last Thursday off Mooloolaba, but no touches on Lures two days before :-\, that's Fishing  ;D

Pete & Paul, we might have to visit Roderick on the Goldy :)!!

Ok....I wanna get that billfish on a stickbait before you do... ;D

Pete

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 13, 2011, 09:44:58 PM
Ah ha! putting the pressure on "FFF"  :D. Over the next couple of weeks Jewie's on plastics will be more of an option with all that fresh heading north from Brissie.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 13, 2011, 10:59:10 PM
Thanks for that Salt today 2 mate. 8)

Pete

roderick walmsley

January 17, 2011, 11:19:26 AM
Pete

I got a black marlin of 110kg on a jig a couple of years ago on the 55fm line out of the Goldy and subsequently tried to target them on jigs after that. We had several hits fishing large bait schools but no solid hook ups, some of the jigs where actually bent from being hit by the fish's bill. A fast sinking stickbait may well be a viable option but there will be a lot of casting involved to get bit. We had one around 300lb chase a stick bait on 3 successive casts out on charter while I was guiding with Nomad at Frederick Reef but failed to eat the lure. It is definately a maybe.

Regards
Rod