Jaime Chee

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Lures Excess Shipping Fees
April 21, 2011, 10:08:24 AM
Hi guys

Recently got some lures sent from the states to AUS via DHL . I have just been slapped with a so called  $47.30 (Quarantine Processing Fee). Has anyone else had the same problem with getting lures shipped from overseas .

cheers, Jaime

Jamie Moir

Re: Lures Excess Shipping Fees
April 21, 2011, 10:38:07 AM
Ahh DHL really are the suck; thanks DHL.

Really just a reminder to make sure you ship via postal services, not couriers, and stay under the customs limit for no problems.

Kevin Hulse

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 21, 2011, 10:41:52 AM
I've ordered plenty of gear/lures from overseas and have never come across that. Seems pretty pricey :o

Mario Benedict

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 21, 2011, 10:43:29 AM
never for lures
but DHL did shipped my rods from the US in 3 days !

the shops I've bought from normally ships with USPS.

Jaime Chee

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 21, 2011, 10:50:45 AM
Hi Guys

Just got of the phone to DHL. Apparently because the lures are made from wood the inspectors are more likely to quarantine your parcel which apparently cost DHL $47.30 which they then pass on the fee to their customers which is BS. Anyhow i asked for appropriate documentation of the inspection and proper evidence which she could not provide so she said she would wave the fee which is a relief .

cheers, jaime

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 21, 2011, 02:23:33 PM
this is standard from DHL, guys. What you should always do is ring them up and challenge it and it will be waived.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Fabio Ward

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 21, 2011, 09:33:30 PM
Yeah I got an invoice with a processing fee from DHL the other day, haven't got around to paying it because there was no option to pay online, ill have to ring up and challenge it now lol. Must say I'm always impressed with how quick DHL ships things.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 21, 2011, 10:04:48 PM
DHL and Fedex are both very efficient but only DHL try this little trick
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 21, 2011, 10:47:10 PM
Hi Guys

Just got of the phone to DHL. Apparently because the lures are made from wood the inspectors are more likely to quarantine your parcel which apparently cost DHL $47.30 which they then pass on the fee to their customers which is BS. Anyhow i asked for appropriate documentation of the inspection and proper evidence which she could not provide so she said she would wave the fee which is a relief .

cheers, jaime

Jamie,

This happened to me also and when I asked for an inspetcion number and documentation of the inspection the lady dropped the fee also.

I reckon its an absolute con job and they simply just try and get away with it.

Pete

Kiel Hinds

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 27, 2011, 01:55:31 AM
As Brandon put it, these "little tricks" are very annoying. IMO, the fact that when you call these couriers
and ask for documentation etc to clarify the cost they are so quick to disappear, tells me that these are nothing but
"little tricks" to rob unsuspecting persons. How do you work out $47.30 of Quarantine Processing Fees? ???

I tend to stay away from couriers when ordering gear though. Postal service all the way! $0.50 stamp duty and i'm out
of there! ;D

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
April 27, 2011, 03:57:17 PM
It's happened to me twice now, just ring them as you have done and ask for a specific invoice from the inspection officer for the particular parcel you were sent, that indicates that the fee has in fact been paid in full by DHL for that parcel - they can't provide it, they will tell you some story about the stamp on the shipping docket being proof of inspection and payment by DHL (BS), as others have said, fee will be waived. 

Often the invoice can turn up weeks after you have received the parcel, nothing they can do about it if you don't pay it - hey, you have already got your gear.

I have found that if the shipping company makes reference to "lures", "fishing gear" or "timber" in any way - it can attract the eye of the inspectors, better if they can simply tag your parcel as "Gift".  If that is not possible, make sure they state "NEW" before words like "Fishing Gear", you can't blame the average customs officer who knows SFA about our sport, for wanting to inspect what they probably visualise as 'dirty', 'smelly',  'old', 'disease riddled' fishing gear!

Inigo Vivanco Amato

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 27, 2011, 10:38:30 PM