Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: To crimp or not to crimp ?
January 11, 2011, 10:51:48 PM
I crimp all FC and most Mono leader over 80lb, and mainly use Fig8 brass crimps with a snug fit, too tight on FC can 'splinter' the FC.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 12, 2011, 02:21:45 AM
Like Luke I am not sure why folks are finding problems with uni knots?  A four or even five turn uni in leader up to 250 lbs is a very secure connection in my experience.

Nothing against crimping but I had failures and that put me off. Probably my crappy crimping technique, but I now always stick to what I know I can rely on - a uni knot connection.

Mario Benedict

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 12, 2011, 09:03:41 AM
this is a video of the jigging master guys testing the chain knot against other knots
I too was scratching my head when some guys were questioning the strength of the uni knot. But I did similar test at home with uni knot at one end and the chain knot at one end. The chain knot won all the tests. So I was kinda convinced about the strength of the chain knot.

2010 JIGGING MASTER ????

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
January 12, 2011, 09:42:20 AM
Is that actually a Uni knot in the video?

I've never tried the AG knot and now actually would like to.

I think a test should involve the one knot tier, tying both knots with lubrication with a piece of nylon/FC at least 5 metres.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 12, 2011, 10:56:27 AM
Agreed Luke.....I have never in my life had a uni fail me...?

Anyway here are some pics of the knot showed to me by Big Bad Pat....
For what is a very simple knot it seems to do the job nicely in heavy leader and is very strong.
I had to take pics as my drawings look like my daughters when she was two... ;D

Pinch both stands at top and wrap tag end three times over both stands down towards lure....

Pass tag back through loop at lure end...

Holding tag end start to pull on main to snug down knot....

Tighten up snug....

Finished knot.....burn tag end..

Line used was 250lb Jinkai which is soft but it can be easily tied in harder material.

Pete

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 12, 2011, 11:21:54 AM
With an additional wrap on the way down...final knot finish.

Mario Benedict

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 12, 2011, 12:09:46 PM
Is that actually a Uni knot in the video?

not sure Luke the first knot they compare it too looks like a uni knot.

Interesting knot there Pete.

Gavin Ng

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 12, 2011, 01:42:18 PM
I managed to make some new "pe sticks" that help you pull knots tight similar to those ones offered commercially. After using the sticks i can pull knots tighter than i ever have before.

After tying a normal uni to swivel with my new tool, i realised the mono that wraps around the eye of the swivel and is holding the knot in place to the swivel, has significantly stretched, to a very thin diameter. Now perception and reality maybe two different stories but it's making me quite parinoid. Which got me thinking about all those knots that wrap around the eye twice, what does everyone thing of the ryo-shi knot? seems easy to tie, and passes through the eye twice.

http://www.japantackle.com/Topics/sig_knot.htm

on the hunt for the ultimate terminal connection, easy to tie and strong, so please keep the discussion coming

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 12, 2011, 02:52:30 PM
Peter, that's the exact knot that the better deckies use here in Indonesia. They just call it "fishing knot"  ;). Very quick and easy to tie even in rough seas.

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 12, 2011, 08:08:06 PM
this is a video of the jigging master guys testing the chain knot against other knots
I too was scratching my head when some guys were questioning the strength of the uni knot. But I did similar test at home with uni knot at one end and the chain knot at one end. The chain knot won all the tests. So I was kinda convinced about the strength of the chain knot.

2010 JIGGING MASTER ????

Mario Benedict

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 12, 2011, 08:42:03 PM
I just tested the ag chain knot against the knot that Peter showed. I tied one end to a lock on the boat trailer and I tied the other one to a jig so I can hold it and pull them against each other.
First time I used a 200lb Black magic tough trace and it was a stalemate... I guess I'm not strong enough to break either knots. The knot Peter showed seemed somewhat stretched and the line on the knot has gone thinner after applying the pressure.

So I scaled down to 80lb and the winner was......the chain knot.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 12, 2011, 09:06:56 PM
Probably as you would expect Mario.  An AG/Chain knot ought to outperform that quick and very easy knot Peter showed.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 12, 2011, 09:13:12 PM
Which got me thinking about all those knots that wrap around the eye twice, what does everyone thing of the ryo-shi knot? seems easy to tie, and passes through the eye twice.

http://www.japantackle.com/Topics/sig_knot.htm

on the hunt for the ultimate terminal connection, easy to tie and strong, so please keep the discussion coming

I must say, I like the look of that Ryoshi knot finished off with a Uni.  Might well try that.

For a knot that doubles through the eye of a hook, ring or swivel I used to used the old-fashioned Trilene (http://www.netknots.com/html/trilene_knot.html) a fair bit. It can be hard to form with heavy leader though.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 12, 2011, 10:25:25 PM
Mario...I do believe that the knot I showed does tie up better in heavier leader.

I normally just use a uni knot for anything up to 200lb but I like this one as a simple alternative.

I have put some pretty extreme pressure on the ones I have tied and none have pulled or failed.

Mario.....Update....I just did some knot tests both tied in 250lb jinkai.....One uni knot and one in the knot pictured above.
I got my shimano scales down to 25kg on each and decided that was enough......Neither knot showed any signs of pulling or any real stress or line thinning.

Pete
Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 07:13:23 PM by Peter Morris