Peter Agapiou

its getting windy
January 31, 2011, 05:28:39 PM
HERE WE GO AGAIN

Aaron Concord

Re: its getting windy
January 31, 2011, 07:52:52 PM
To all of our gtpopping mates in North QLD,

Keep your heads down and stay safe........this has already been a bad week with T.C Yasi still to hit.

I wonder how long before the reef bounces back after this one!

I wonder how long before North Queensland bounces back from this one!

Aaron.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
January 31, 2011, 09:21:44 PM
I think we could be in for a few interesting weeks along the whole Queensland coast, Anthony is over land now being chased by Yasi with a small system already up her tail. Two computer models have another biggy forming next week to be mid Coral Sea by the 12th Feb or as one model has it, crossing south of Fraser on the 14th. This same model had me watching Yasi's birth NE of Fiji [same place as TC Thomas last March] on Jan 17, with its predicted crossing then being between Bundy and Brissie, luckely for Brisbane a Sea Temp Anomaly [colder water] in the Sth Coral Sea has pushed Anthony [after visiting NC] and Yasi more north to feed off the warmer water.
 Oh Joy!
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Jordan Hack

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 31, 2011, 09:43:33 PM
Hey Greg, what models/website do you you check for your info?

Bernie Keys

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 01, 2011, 11:42:04 AM
Cyclones aren't all bad.

Fishing on the south coast of NSW, is really effected by the strength of the  East Australia Current. This current starts up in north Queensland & heads south dividing in Bass Straight to Tasmania and then the Southern Ocean, round the Bight towards the Indian Ocean  (and an arm also heads over towards New Zealand. )

It is important for fishing particularly in Southern NSW how far out it is and how strong it is.

Apparently what has the most effect on the current is the number, timing  & strength of the tropical Cyclones that cross the barrier reef (& cross land as well).

In low pressure systems (cyclones) the sea level can rise by a couple of meters (why you get "surging" tides) and behind them, hot water flows outwards over the reef and then heads south.  In high cyclone years the hot water can reach a long way south with wahoo , spanish mackerel and other hot water pelagic being caught as far south as the Victorian border and occasionally in bass straight.

The water in the barrier reef is replenished with cooler water with the normal  the tides. Cooler water contains a lot more oxygen so is really good for the health of the eco system generally.  :)

So even though the cyclones are hard on the reef, (and us :) ) they also do some good.  :)
Fishing is not life & death...its much more important than that!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 03:44:33 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt