Raymond Yong

• Past Sponsor
  • Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
WOW!!! What a fantastic and amazing trip, it definitely a dream trip :)
Congratulations!! Brandon and crew ;)

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Just read this again and it is even better second time round :).  Thanks so much Brandon.

Two little requests Brandon or Malcolm - what was Malcolm's set up used for the 65 kg fish?

And if there are any more photos I am sure I am not the only one who would love to see them.  A special request for any non-angled straight-on shots!

Malcolm Crane

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi Mark,

For that bigger fish I was using a Carpenter Coral Viper CV79/40RF with a Stella 10000 reel & SOM spool. At the time I was spooled up with JB80 hollow and a 130lb Streamline wind-on leader. Lure was a Carpenter Sea Frog Evo 105 with a couple of Fisherman 6/0 trebles.
I was fishing light as by the 5th day we were getting a bit tired.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Malcolm - that is a fantastic effort on medium weight gear! I can't imagine that a Coral Viper has been responsible for such a big fish before.

I was actually hoping that your reply would be something along those lines - not a stiff broomstick or PE12 rope in sight!

Sam Cheadle

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Great report as usual Brandon. Congratulations to yourself and Malcolm.

Amazing when you start talking about 42kg fish being the smaller of the bigger fish.

65kg's at the top end - only a few short of the WR. There would have to be a WR giant in NC

Congrats again

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Great report as usual Brandon. Congratulations to yourself and Malcolm.

Amazing when you start talking about 42kg fish being the smaller of the bigger fish.

65kg's at the top end - only a few short of the WR. There would have to be a WR giant in NC

Congrats again

Seens 75kg+...the boys have seen 80kg+....

Awesome catch Malcolm  8)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Malcolm was tired but I was dead from throwing monster sitckbaits in the morning!

For my fish in the double hook-up, I used a Ripple Fisher UG83MH (PE8 stickbait rod - non-Australian model but I am sure available by special order) and also a Stella 10000 with SOM No Limits spool. Line was Varivas GT PE8 and YGK Gailis 170lb leader. Lure was a Carpenter Gamma 160. Hooks were Owner ST-66 5/0s. In fact, I use ST-66 5/0s on the majority of my lures excepting really, really big stickbaits and big poppers where I use a combination of Decoy 10/0s and various single hooks.

Hi Mark,

For that bigger fish I was using a Carpenter Coral Viper CV79/40RF with a Stella 10000 reel & SOM spool. At the time I was spooled up with JB80 hollow and a 130lb Streamline wind-on leader. Lure was a Carpenter Sea Frog Evo 105 with a couple of Fisherman 6/0 trebles.
I was fishing light as by the 5th day we were getting a bit tired.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Excellent information. Thanks again Brandon.

ST66s surprises me a bit.  I use ST76 5/0 all the time but have kept away from ST66 as the gauge looks too narrow to stand up to big fish. If the 66s handled all those big fish without issues then I guess myself and others are spending a lot too much money on heavier gauge hooks. 
Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 01:02:05 PM by Mark Harris

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Magnificent fish and congrats to all. 8)

Thats a dream trip alright.

Pete

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Don't wish to hijack this thread with discussions about hooks.

This is is a very interesting subject though and I think it would be great if Luke or Brandon could split those discussions into a new thread. 

Jeen Raj

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Incredible!! What can I say. Much respect to you guys and hats off to David and crew for the effort.

Jeen

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Congratulation guys!
i am sure it is going to take a long time to forget a trip like that  :)
well done Malcolm!

Ricky Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Congrat to you all!
Amazing stuff guys, that's what everyone dreams off!!
Can't wait to fish there again, Lessssssss than 3weeks wooohoooooo!!!!!!!
Like to ask Malcom, what outfit you use to catch the smallest fish of the trip???? ;D ;D
Actually like to ask what's the best allround light outfit to use in between the heavy lifting?

Ricky

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
topic has been split, Mark. It is now in the GT tackle discussion section

Don't wish to hijack this thread with discussions about hooks.

This is is a very interesting subject though and I think it would be great if Luke or Brandon could split those discussions into a new thread.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Nathan Cefai

• Giant Trevally
  • Reel Men Smoke Stellas
  • Liked:
Hectic Job guys,some monsters caught as always from NC,Bring on MAY!!!!!!!!!  8)