Scott Williams

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Jigging at Night ??
July 20, 2009, 10:21:43 PM
Just wondering if anybody jigs at night, and what style jigs and technique they use, and for what species?

I think I am curious enough to give it a go on the next overnight trip chasing reds etc, fishing in about 40m or so. I figured the slow style of the "lucanus" style of jigs would be my first choice (although possibly not truly considered jigging???) but would be interested to hear if anyone has had much success using "traditional" jigs at night.

Scott.

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Jigging at Night ??
July 23, 2009, 08:28:12 AM
i've used jigs at nite.. mainly evergreen caprice kid and smaller sized ima jigs as well, targeting what else around melbourne but reds. at nite i generally stick to jigs that can be worked slow.. plenty of flutter on the drop. i generally jig from around 7m to 30m of water, and the technique that i've found to work when working these smaller jigs is to cast out.. allow to sink, a few jigs and spins of the handle and open the bail arm to let jig flutter back to the bottom, this is repeated over n over untill the jig reaches boat side. hope i made sense, with the lucanuc (madai) type jigs.. basically put it in a rod holder and let the rocking motion of the boat do the work for u. both techniques have worked well for me.

i've had friends and seen plenty of video footage of people who have jigged at nite for yellowfin/doggies and all other species and they have been successful as well.. so i don't see why it will not work even out wide. once u start talking about deeper water its nite time down there year round, so i doubt the fish would even know what time of day it is... and good luck on ur quest..! ;)
AKA: Sunny

David Ting

July 23, 2009, 05:50:49 PM
Fishing around Layang Layang / Spratly area usually the better fish are caught early in the morning from 4am to sunrise. Most that go there often make sure they wake up for the early morning session. I don't know if the same everywhere but i don't see what it would be. Give it a go and you might discover something new in your area for you to muck about with, rather than just hitting the sack.

Scott Williams

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 25, 2009, 10:34:03 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Chuen, Interesting technique with the cast/few winds/back to the bottom technique, I had figured I would use a similar style in a vertical manner, but the casting might be an option in the rubbly areas. I will definitely give that a go if conditions permit.
Will definitely be trying a couple of things, probably when the others are in bed and I have the deck to myself  ;)

Marko Pekic

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 26, 2011, 08:00:16 PM
have been to abrolhos and fished at night with soft plastics and good old cheapy fanky jigs. We boated between 6 of us about 40 dhuies, pinkies and cod and it didnt matter what colour we gave them they smashed it. When theyre on/hungry theyll take it. Before this always thought they wouldnt work at night.
When x meets y