Rhet Tainton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Saragosa mate
February 07, 2011, 09:09:08 PM
Hi All

A brand new fan of the site, a complete novice at targeting GT's, and eyes as big as dinner plates reading and learning from here.

So my first of many questions no doubt.

Heading to Princess Charlotte Bay and hopefully make it to the outer reef.........weather pending.

Starting to buy gear, unfortunately at the lower end of the spectrum for a little while yet. I have purchased a Saragosa and spooled it with 80lb, however will more than likely get a spare spool and put 50lb on it as well.

Now the rod, I am wondering what will be the better match for this reel. The Shimano GT Special, Wilson Venom PE 5 or a Diawa Saltiga SG Dorado 80TN?

I have so far bought poppers and stick baits around the 100g by Yo-Zuri and Nomad.

Hopefully as a complete amateur I am on the right track with gear I have already purchased as I didn't discover this site until the current purchases had been made.

Cheers, Rhet

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Saragosa mate
February 07, 2011, 09:17:42 PM
Welcome Rhet.

Which size Saragosa are we talking about?  I would guess the 18000 as you spooled with 80lb braid?

The Wilson Venom is a jigging rod I think?  Or?

I don't know much about the Shimano GT Special as I think it may have been special for the Aussie market only (anyone?). I suspect it is the most appropriate of the 3 you mention though.

I  have been doing lots of reading up on the Daiwa Saltiga 80TN and this is really a stick bait rod designed for lines a fair bit lighter than your 80lb.

It would be useful I think Rhet if you posted the max you are looking to spend on a rod.

Rhet Tainton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 07, 2011, 09:35:35 PM
Cheers Mark.

It's actually the 14000, 300yd of 80lb fit neatly.

The venom's come in a Popping PE 3, 5, 8, 10 and 12, as well as the jig range.

I was initially going to go the PE 3 rod with about 50lb, but then the more reading I did here I got scared! Scared that I would get blown away running gear that light if I actually hooked a solid fish...............having never caught one of these before I am easily intimidated!!

As a novice, I wouldn't want to spend more than $500 for this one off trip. Who knows what may happen if I get the bug after that.

Cheers

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 07, 2011, 09:41:46 PM
Wow - 300 of 80lb braid on a 14000 spool? Which braid is that please?

I don't know the local waters you are fishing and the natrure/size of the fish there so hard to say on the rod rating.  With 80 lb braid though you ought to be looking at a PE6-8 type rating.

Rhet Tainton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 07, 2011, 10:23:08 PM
I used Power Pro. I realise that this is the cheaper end of the quality scale, but for the dia. to fill the spool it was cost effective and still rated at 80lb.

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
February 08, 2011, 07:14:05 AM
Rhet, the Saltiga 80TN would be better matched with about 50lb braid and little smaller reel 8000/10000.  Like wise, most poppers over about 80 grams see its limits as a popping rod.  As Mark said, It makes a better stickbait rod at the upper end of the weight range.

Sounds like the GT special might be closer to what you are looking for, it's quite a powerful rod, and would easily handle the line class with plenty in reserve!  Hit the gym before you go though! 

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 08, 2011, 09:36:37 AM
Saragosa and and a shimano GT special sounds like a good entry rig and has plenty of other uses in the tropics if the GT thing doesn't take hold and turn you into a lunatic. I use something similar for chucking metal at spanos, and even used it as a live bait rig for surface and bottom fish...as well as GT's of course.

Rhet Tainton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 08, 2011, 11:41:34 AM
Thanks very much for the informative/positive responses.

As you have suggested Graham, I was hoping that these purchases would give me some flexibilty for use other than specifically being a luntatic!

Looks like I might be leaning towards the Shimano.

Cheers.