Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
heaviest fluorocarbon leader available
October 02, 2007, 06:36:47 PM
I was wondering what the heaviest fluorocarbon leader on the market is. When I see it, it is usually 100lb and no more than that. I was thinking of going to fluorocarbon in the bite leader I have at the end of my twisties. 300lb would be good if it is available.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Rob Ciotucha

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: heaviest fluorocarbon leader available
October 02, 2007, 07:37:50 PM
I was wondering what the heaviest fluorocarbon leader on the market is. When I see it, it is usually 100lb and no more than that. I was thinking of going to fluorocarbon in the bite leader I have at the end of my twisties. 300lb would be good if it is available.

Hi Brandon ,

For bite leader , you can use Seaguar Big Game fluorocarbon leader meant for trolling , they come all the way to 550 lbs. breaking strain , check this link : http://seaguar.com/Products.html

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
October 02, 2007, 10:08:38 PM
550 - sweet :D I thought 400lb was the heaviest :)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 02, 2007, 10:12:14 PM
thanks a lot for that, guys. Boy, they really give it away!
For those of you you who currently use it, do you think it makes that much difference in comparison to a mono leader?

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
October 02, 2007, 10:29:39 PM
thanks a lot for that, guys. Boy, they really give it away!
For those of you you who currently use it, do you think it makes that much difference in comparison to a mono leader?

To be honest Brandon, I really haven't encountered GTs that have been overly shy. This may obviously change in the future.

Given in the scheme of GT fishing that this is a rather minimal cost - I will continue to use it. Better abrasion resistance than standard monofilament anyway so it can't hurt. Having said that I would loose no sleep if I didn't have one on but knowing me I would have one in the leader wallet just in case.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 03, 2007, 08:26:48 AM
so fluorocarbon has clearly superior abrasion resistant qualities in comparison to mono?

A spool of this stuff costs nearly as much as a Craftbait popper - and I don't have enough of those yet!   :D

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
October 03, 2007, 06:31:09 PM
so fluorocarbon has clearly superior abrasion resistant qualities in comparison to mono?

A spool of this stuff costs nearly as much as a Craftbait popper - and I don't have enough of those yet!   :D

Yes.

Some reasons for this include (not limited to):
  • FCs are of a closed cellular structure which means that water is not absorbed (unlike Nylon lines). Nylon lines lose strength when exposed to the elements (obviously this happens over time).
  • FC is not affected by UV (unlike Nylon)
  • I also read that the crystal structure of FC in the polymer chains is more dense than standard Nylons (roughly 1.7x) which probably also accounts for a higher abrasion resistance.

Also note that some FCs are not made equal. Some are blends of standard nylon with FC (= copolymer) which obviously bring other various disadvantages/advantages depending on how you look at it. There are very few factories producing FC, just like those producing PE fibres.
Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 06:33:25 PM by Luke Wyrsta