chris coates

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rod and reel set up?
February 17, 2011, 07:37:47 PM
Hey guys I'm heading to the Rowley shoals in October this year and I want to try bring in a few gts I just wanted to know what anyone thinks I should get rod and reel wise. I was thinking a 20000 Stella I'm just not sure on the rod. All fishing will be from a boat and I want to throw a range of stickbaits and poppers. I'll prob use the reel for jigging as well.
Any tips about fishing the Rowley shoals is welcome as well chears :-)
Hunt Smart Fish Hard

Aaron Concord

Re: Rod and reel set up?
February 17, 2011, 08:00:52 PM
Chris,

If you are serious about popping, go for the SW18000 Stella over the 20000 for the extra retrieve speed.
You will thank yourself for going to the faster reel after 20 minutes of casting, let alone a few days worth.

Rod wise, if you can, bend up a few and see what is the heaviest that feels comfortable to cast and load up under the strain of heavy drag.
No GT rod is really super comfy, though some are far harder on the angler than others.
Something like the Smith Komodo or a Ripple Fisher 79R are pretty hard to beat for both stick baits and poppers. 
There are a heap of brands to chose from now so choice is a matter of budget and taste.
Have you done any popping of this nature??
If not, then try and get a casting session in with a few different rods if you can from either a store or another GT angler if you know one.
It will make your decision easier and more accurate.
I've seen plenty of people who have ordered off catalogues and they have been let down.
Get an idea of the usual lures you want to be able to handle and get a rod to do that.
Unless you are 6'5 and 120kg, don't expect to be able to pelt 200 gram poppers all day and feel well after doing it.  Poppers around 120-150 grams are far big enough for "all day" fishing.
Price for the rods can be an issue too, though the more expensive rods do make the job of casting, hooking and fighting large trevally much more enjoyable.
Hope this helps,

Cheers

Aaron.