Mark Stotesbury

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
twisted leader
April 13, 2008, 04:15:27 AM
Hi guys can anyone explain to me the following:
what should the length of a twisted leader be?ie should it be the length of the rod.ie bimini on reel  then leader to lure or can it be any length
what is if any the maximum diameter of line to be used to make a twisted leader ?
as always thanks
mark

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: twisted leader
April 13, 2008, 07:20:33 AM
Mark, there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to twisted leaders. The length range between a one metre twisted leader to some that are four metres in length. Some poeple use it at the end of a very elaborate rig involving spliced assist line where the twisties is quite short but locally, you'll find most people here fish it with the twisted leader being just on the spool when you're casting. That would make it some three metres of so in length.

There is a school of thought out there that the twisted leader is a primary cause of wind knots if it is too long.  I think there is some fact in this and these people are using a shorter twistie which is about two metres long so it is in the guides, not on the spool.

In terms of diameter, you could use 200lb mono. It just wouldn't cast very well! I use 100lb Penn 10X as my standard material but I will go as high as 170lb.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
April 13, 2008, 08:58:14 AM
Mark,

Do you want to use it for jigging?

Twisted leaders aren't typically used for jigging, however, it's not totally unheard of.

I would personally be opting for a single leader style connection for jigging.

Mark Stotesbury

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 13, 2008, 08:09:09 PM
Hi guys thanks for that info clears up a lot .popping only, luke tried it for jigging but didnt work so well.am using 1mm diameter nylon for my  twisted leaders,will test it on the yellowfin .thanks again 

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
April 13, 2008, 09:54:38 PM
Sorry Mark, for some reason I thought this was posted in the jigging section!

I have been making my twisted sections no longer than 1 metre (50/60cm preferable), with a bite leader up to 1 metre - works great. The max i have been making my twisties with is 150lb Shogun nylon.