Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Nomad Sportfishing - Marion Reef 2008
October 30, 2007, 05:13:28 PM

Neil - you've already been to Marion this year, haven't you?
How did you go this time round?

Not too sure about the need to fish sea mounts for big dogs at Marion. On the two times I've been there the biggest dogs where all in less than 70m, either outside the passes or around the lagoon bommies. Chances of being spooled, almost nil, chances of pulling the fish away from the bommies and sharks, well, just roll the dice and let the fun begin!!
By the way the biggest we saw stunned us all, an educated guess by some seasoned observors was +120kg. Good luck.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Neil Griffiths

November 01, 2007, 09:59:49 AM
The trip was great from a weather perspective but hard work for fishing. Seas were flat calm, no white water on outer reef a lot of the time. In fact we fished on top of the outer reef bommies in 1 or 2 metres trying to get fish to bite.
40 metre visability and millpond calm conditions made the fish hard to find.
Best GT was high 30kg which was ok, best doggie has my craftbait on it's trophy wall. Such is life.
Everything was different to last time, what worked last year didn't this year and vice versa. Last year we lost heaps of surface lures and bugger all jigs, this year took more poppers and sticks and less jigs and you can guess what happened, lost one stick and ran out of jigs!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 01, 2007, 02:02:28 PM
oh no - one $100 stickbait gone!  :D

Sounds like you had the exact opposite conditions to what some of the guys encountered in July.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 02, 2008, 01:29:55 PM
This trip now has 2 vacancies available after unforeseen circumstances [work] forced 2 of Cam and my group to pull out, they are not happy chappies as they had been planning for a long while, the 2 spots will go back to Nomad on Monday unless someone puts a post up pronto or PMs Me, Cam or Brandon, it is prime time to be there May 17th-23rd.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Dan

March 06, 2008, 11:39:36 PM
Hi guys

Forum newbie here.

Rob Ciotucha (one of your already confirmed fisho's for this trip) has pointed me in the direction of this trip, and i gotta say, it looks and sounds oh so inviting. Just waiting for a few more planets and stars to align, and i'm in. I run my own business here in Perth, so i can't just up and leave without making sure the boys will be ok in my absence. I'll find out tomorrow if i can get a relief manager or mechanic to cover for my fat, fisho ass, and i'll be there.

(Just quietly, i'm gettin bloody excited at the prospect of this trip. Although i've fished extensively over here, i've never undertaken an adventure such as this..... Since i spoke to Rob C yesterday, i've basically lived on the Nomad website....  ;D, jeeeeez it looks fun. So, if i can get things in place in my workshop, i'll be the 'gt poppin' newbie for ya all to poke fun at.....  ::) :P 8))

Anyhoo, i'll let ya's know tomorrow if the gods are smilin on me.

Dan Baxter

p.s.  is there 2 spots still available? If so, i may have another interested party, again, i'll know about him in the next day or so

Mick Cunningham

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 07, 2008, 12:12:28 AM
hi dan .. welcome to this forum ...

brandon will let you know on the trip that your,re after .  he is the gt warrior with nomad .. i have fished with him at shoalwater bay ...  he is a great guy ...

hey dan do you mind can you change your name in full as we were told by the boss of this forum ;D ::) ... eg.  dan baxter

so enjoy on your find,s in this forum ...

mick .

Dan

March 07, 2008, 12:45:05 AM
Done  ;D

Oh, and thanks for the welcome...  ;)

Dan

March 07, 2008, 04:29:29 PM
Woohooo...

The gods are smilin'

I'm in!!!

You bloody beauty...

I'll send you a PM Brandon

;D <---- me

Santosh Shanmuga

March 08, 2008, 01:08:11 AM
only if I were in Australia ;) ...how much does the Marion reef trip cost?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 08, 2008, 05:03:59 PM
Santosh - pretty much an irrelevant question now because Marion is booked out for this year and it is the last year they will be running the lagoon explorer trips for Marion. From next year, they will become ultimate adventures with the gameboats which means wider access, probably less focus in the lagon itself and many more dollars!

Santosh Shanmuga

March 09, 2008, 07:53:46 AM
Awwww, oh well... :-[

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 09, 2008, 12:00:08 PM
That's a shame.

New Caledonia is a year round destination - anyone interested in more info or booking please let me know.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 09, 2008, 06:21:02 PM
Santosh - if you want to catch GTs with Nomad, check out Shoalwater in February or Bugatti in April.
Luke's recommendation is a good one. The fishing in New Caledonia can be amazing. The only thing is I'd suggest you find someone to go with otherwise it will be expensive for a single person.

Santosh Shanmuga

March 10, 2008, 02:13:58 AM
Thanks Brandon...since I'm in school, I'll have to wait for a couple years until I get the chance to make it out to the Land Down Under in April or May. Who knows, I maybe be able to sneak a trip in during Spring Break :)

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 09, 2008, 09:19:24 PM
Time to start counting down the days rather than weeks for this trip now  ;D, chatted to Duncan [Fish Head] yesterday as they were getting their last minute things together to leave today for this weeks trip to Marion, boy their excitement can be contagious ::) :)Now it's up to the Weather Gods ;)
Greg 'FFF' Burt