Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Split Rings
February 17, 2011, 03:55:19 PM
Those Bouz rings seem almost too good to be true :).

You know that old saying, "if its too good to be true, it probably is!"

They are easy to get on but an absolute pr!ck to get off! I'd rather deform a pack of normal rings than spend the time trying to remove them! Maybe I'm using them the wrong way, but I stay well away from them now.
AKA: Sunny

AustralianAngling

February 17, 2011, 04:03:18 PM
Those Bouz rings seem almost too good to be true :).

You know that old saying, "if its too good to be true, it probably is!"

They are easy to get on but an absolute pr!ck to get off! I'd rather deform a pack of normal rings than spend the time trying to remove them! Maybe I'm using them the wrong way, but I stay well away from them now.

Obviously using them the wrong way
When all else fails as they say follow the instructions.
http://www.bouz.net/products/bouzring/usage.html#fit

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 17, 2011, 04:11:26 PM
In my opinion , Owner Hyperwire splitrings are still the best and for installing the rings onto thick gauge hooks ,  the right plier is needed for these splitrings , up till today my favourite is still the Duel plier , would be perfect if they make it in stainless steel !  :'(

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 17, 2011, 05:11:39 PM
Decoys are my favourite but I do use owners on occasions also.

Pete

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 17, 2011, 06:06:48 PM
I sue pretty much all the main brands of split rings, including the Bouz but I really struggle to get them off.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mike_Tan

February 17, 2011, 07:29:40 PM
I still have some old 200lb Varivas power rings lying around and these I can put hooks much heavier in wire gauge than the decoy pike 5/O into and they won't deform. Pretty sure the material is different! Oh I'm using the duel gt plier too so it's not due to the plier.

I did toy with owner and it seems the 220lb or #10 deforms the least because I also tried #11/11H and they seem to have a larger gap between the wires after I put hooks into them.

I tried decoy rings too and they weren't much better than the current Varivas. I guess owner is now the best there is for heavy gauge hooks? Back in 01 owner rings got ripped off my poppers in Indonesia and I've been skeptical about them ever since.

Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 07:36:42 PM by Mike Tan