George Pang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Maiden GT voyage
February 17, 2011, 05:37:05 PM
Just a quick report.

Some will know my new boat has finally arrived, a purpose built GT rig. I have been waiting all summer to put it through its paces, and after 2 cyclones, a month long flood, I have finally had the opportunity to  take it on the trip it was designed for with the blessing from the minister for war and finance.

The weather forecast firmed up, and it was decided on Thursday night to give the weekend a shot. Deckie nos 1 (Wes) and 2 (Franco) both bailed, so it ended being another solo mission (sorry Brandon and Tak but I thought it might be a little too short notice for interstate deckies!).

The run up to the reef was interspresed with intermittent showers and wind squalls, making some of the trip less than comfortable. On the way I run into a white hooker (boat that is) with Jay (who I believe is a gtpopping member) aboard. It's a small world.

Finally get to the reef, and there are the occasional whitecaps all around with 1.5-2m ocean swell pushing in. Luckily the forecast is for dropping swell throughout the day. The first session was only a morning session, as it was blew up in the afternoon. Day 2 was also a morning session, again the the wind blowing up in the afternoon. It started to blow up at 9 oclock and after a several technicolour yawns, I decided to cut the session short and headed back in.

My memory is a little hazy from the Kwells, so I'll stick to the highlights.

Session 1:
I fire the first cast out, an orion, into the dstance and work it back - nothing. The second goes out - nothing. Third cast - a massive crash and boil behind, but no hookup.  Several more casts, and a 4+ ft spaniard launches about 6ft into the air from under the orion. The spaniards were thick, and I ended up losing about 4 orions to them. I hookup and after a short little struggle a nice tea leaf trevally comes aboard. I move to a spot where the current and the swell are hitting a point. I first cast, Massive hit and miss. Second cast big boil behind, but no strike. Third cast, a it looks like a shark behind it, darting around, which then slams it side on. Solid hookup, followed by several hook sets and the fish is off. Its a solid fish, with fast powerful runs, with no headshakes, just stops and runs, stops and runs. I struggle with it for about 15 minutes, as it goes around and around the boat, staying deep. I finally see some colour, and am surprised its a GT, and a nice one at that. Thick and about 1.5-1.6m long. A couple of photos and back over she goes. I's stuffed and seriously worried about hooking another in the next short while, so I take a break for about 20 minutes. Countless casts later another smaller GT comes aboard.

Session 2:
Started out like it was going to be a better day, with the swell down, but that quickly changed and by 0900 I was chucking up over the side. Anyway, a couple of average fish and several mackeral thefts before abandoning the session. It got quite windy by the afternoon 20-25kts, so in hindsight I got out at the right time.

The purpose of the trip was to trial the boat, and it performed flawlessly. No doubt there will be more missions to come.

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
Re: Maiden GT voyage
February 17, 2011, 05:47:47 PM
Well down George, and great work with the camera too (considering you were on your own).

What is the contender, is it a 23 open?

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
February 17, 2011, 05:49:10 PM
Nice work George!

1.5 - 1.6 is a big fish! Well done solo!

Nice rig - how big is she?

I still don't think Brandon will fish that place in even a boat of that size!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 17, 2011, 06:22:01 PM
That big fish is a very nice specimen indeed George.  What a fantastic way to christen a new boat!

Aaron Concord

February 17, 2011, 07:45:19 PM
George,

It's a wonder you didn't bust a valve bringing that GT on board.  It's an awesome fish mate!

Love your commitment to breaking in the new rig.  You should shoot some pics over to Contender to see if they will sponsor you.  From the signage in the photos, it already looks like that they do!

Jealous all round............the bombie fired again :)

Aaron.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 17, 2011, 08:34:52 PM
Congratulations George, it's been a long time comming, looks like the wait was worth it  :)

Greg 'FFF' Burt

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 17, 2011, 09:03:14 PM
Onya George..!!!

I often think about you heading up that way..!!.....The weather aint be too kind this year,gotta be the worst summer on record..!!

Good stuff mate,

Pete

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 17, 2011, 09:13:32 PM
Nice GTs and technicolour yawns - pretty standard for the location, George!!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

George Pang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 18, 2011, 08:35:08 PM
Its a 23T (now called a 25T). 25ft LOA 23 waterline length.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
February 19, 2011, 12:35:25 AM
Awesome trip George, love the boat - what engines are you running on it? How did she ride in that much wind and chop?

Troy Wegner

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 19, 2011, 09:06:52 PM
Nice looking fish too George.

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
February 20, 2011, 07:48:22 AM
Nice first trip George, you didn't really expect Wes to go did you  ???

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 20, 2011, 10:34:07 AM
Never should fish alone George - A new 25T ah, very nice - next time just call me......

Great work  as usual - was that the Bommie at the top of the big sand Island ?

George Relf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 20, 2011, 08:26:05 PM
Very nice mate indeed going solo

Who needs assistance anyway?  :)

George Pang

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 21, 2011, 08:47:22 PM
It has twin ETEC 200's, and its pretty quick and likes to go fast. Averaging  25-30kts going up, and sitting on 30-35 coming back, up to 40kts in some places inside the island. It rides better the quicker it goes.

Crusty, Wes is off chasing vermin in a creek in NZ ::)

And to answer your question Peter, sandy big island - tick, north of that - tick. You're doing alright yourself mate  8) , you're going to have to show me how its done..