chris coates

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need help convincing dad
February 23, 2011, 05:54:19 PM
Hey guys I need help convincing my dad that he need to get some real fishing gear for gts.
He's oldschool and thinks his 8000 pen will do the job and that $450 for the gt special is to much! Is there any vids or books that I can get him onto?
Hunt Smart Fish Hard

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Re: Need help convincing dad
February 23, 2011, 06:11:50 PM
Hey guys I need help convincing my dad that he need to get some real fishing gear for gts.
He's oldschool and thinks his 8000 pen will do the job and that $450 for the gt special is to much! Is there any vids or books that I can get him onto?

No better way than getting your own quality gear, finding some Gees and watch him get served!

At least you might stand a better chance  8)

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 23, 2011, 06:30:23 PM

No better way than getting your own quality gear, finding some Gees and watch him get served!

At least you might stand a better chance  8)

+1

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
February 23, 2011, 06:33:29 PM
Maybe just agree with him, get his gear together, a few dumbells and get him to go out chasing them with you. If the strike doesnt get him in the subsequent battle and likely pasting will. That first encounter with a surface crashing gee usually starts most people down the slippery slope of acquiring gt capable gear. If it doesnt then it will at least help justify you saving your own money for gear or asking for it for birthdays etc. Shopping around for decent 2nd hand gear can also help ease the pain. 

chris coates

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 23, 2011, 06:38:20 PM
Haha true i would enjoy the look on his face as he gets dusted but we all feel the Los of a lure :'(.
Yeh I'm in the prosess of payn off my stella 20000 still up in the air on a good rod for around 800$ the daiwa sg muramura 76 is looking good thow. But yeh frustrating trying to explain things to somone set in there ways.
Hunt Smart Fish Hard

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
February 23, 2011, 06:42:09 PM
Some people simply don't know what they DON'T KNOW!

You may only encounter small to mid sized GT's in which the gear mentioned may be perfectly capable but not necessarily give you a fighting edge in the country you are in.

You live and you learn...

Imagine the look on his face when he's just been drilled and he has to leader your fish  ;D

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 23, 2011, 07:23:42 PM
When you tell tour father,"I TOLD YOU SO", just smile, don't laugh  ;D
Greg 'FFF' Burt

chris coates

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 23, 2011, 07:32:32 PM
Haha I like that.
Hunt Smart Fish Hard

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 23, 2011, 07:38:22 PM
Have a shave first Chris then have a chat to him... :o

Pete

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 24, 2011, 09:55:27 AM
Chris,
You're setting yourself up for a fall man...
Big GT on the penn swims away from all the trouble and comes to the boat like a pussycat...You hook Mr Angry and get dusted...GT's don't know what rod and reel you're using...
Still waiting for my Sealine Bull to fail, though I only landed 1 from 3 on the weekend.
(it wasn't lack of drag), but i fish lighter than alot of you gorillas! Stella 1800sw on standby

Just get him hooked to a big GT and he'll be converted and start buying all sorts of stuff

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 24, 2011, 09:10:31 PM
The problem is once you start buying good gear..... you can't stop!!!!!!!
Forget steak for dinner you'll be having beans on toast! ;)

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 25, 2011, 12:20:54 PM
If he is bankrolling this venture, he'll need to see the value of purchasing / investing in it.
Get him onto a trip where quality gear is provided and then he'll see it in action & the benefit of taking the step up to owning it.

How much gear is totally up to each individual, based on each persons fishing wants and needs.