And why is that?

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: stanage bay / shoalwater
September 30, 2010, 05:45:52 PM
And why is that?

Because every boat is different and fuel consumptions will vary depending on a variety of circumstances. If you can't figure out how much fuel you will need then it's possible you could run into serious trouble as it's a very remote area.

Robert Palcak

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
September 30, 2010, 06:12:20 PM
Agreed.
When doing a long trip in a boat, you should know exactly what your fuel consumption is, exactly how far you're planning on travelling and factor in about 30% extra fuel for detours or poor sea conditions. You need to have this type of trip planned out in every detail. Asking how much fuel you need to carry is such a vague question that could end in tears. The Ocean is a lonely place when you're stranded with no fuel.
<*///><

Andrew Wilson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 30, 2010, 08:11:44 PM
U guys are exactly right it's was a very generalised question and any answer was not going to be taken as gospel until I done the maths. As stated At the  start I was looking for general information about the area. Until I decide that is where I'm going to go I'm not going to do all the planning for a trip yhat may not be viable for me. I guess I was trying to save me the trouble of reverting to charts and working it out. Therefor was looking for a guide to say yes or not u will need approx 300 or whatever . It's not like I would take any advice given as law and go in windmill punching so to say.

Jim Isherwood

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 01, 2010, 09:20:37 AM
This is just to much of a general question to ask anyone on this forum and i agree with Travis and Jay !! Only you can determine how much fuel your boat will use , You have to consider so many variables on extended trips such as Hull weight- motor size-weather conditions- amount and weight of gear your taking including fuel water food the list goes on -and how many people-.

Just to ask to give you a rough idea , and i mean a very rough one , we went on a 3 day trip last year from Onslow W.A. to Exmouth and back 100kms each way in a 7m razerline 3 guys and all the gear to go with it and used 450 litres !!! we did the same trip 4 weeks later and used just over 300 litres!! see the difference,I have a 500 litre tank in my boat and i still carry 100 litres spare ALWAYS !!

Please do your homework on this one it is your responsibility for the saftey of your boat and most importantly your crew .

The last thing you want is to become a news headline and also consider the costs involved should you have to be rescued could and have run into 5 figure numbers .

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 01, 2010, 05:01:56 PM
Hi Andrew,
If its any help, for charters into that area I work on a MINIMUM of 75% reserve. In other words I'm planning on getting home with just under half a tank. You can get caught in conditions where your fuel consumption doubles.
We had 1 trip north into Shoalwater (from Yeppoon) with research guys and we weren't sure whether we would get home, punching into SE 25 knots, our contingecy was a run to Mackay....after a 2 day wait at Stanage, we ended up in Mackay. Good fun surfing down 5m waves 10m apart(or thats what it felt like).

I don't think the other guys meant to be cruel, its just that its remote and you need to be very careful (your phone won't work, no mechanic and possibly no VHF in some places)

Matt Kilpatrick

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 01, 2010, 05:21:37 PM
Well said Graham. Good practical advice and I think just a fraction more email etiquette would go a long way.

Serge de Bruijn

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 17, 2011, 12:11:39 AM
Is this the infamous Andrew Wilson who had to swim back to shore for 6 hours?

Serge.

Andrew Wilson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 02, 2011, 10:22:11 PM
might be might not be