Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bali jigs
March 05, 2011, 01:14:40 PM
Guys, I have been asked about jigs manufactured in Bali a few times by members here, and finally got around to writing a short guide.

To save duplicating and reposting the whole thing, you can see on my blog here:
http://balisportfishing.blogspot.com/

A very rough AUD price guide for visitors buying in Bali:

Adhek Jigs from about $9 for 300 and 350 gram, to $14 for 400 and 500 grams and $16-17 for the 700 gram monsters.

Ton Hui $8 to $12.

Virus Bali $8 to $14.

All very good value for proven fish catchers.

Sadly I do not know of anyone importing any of these to Australia (?), but  I guess that might change.  Anyone visiting the island might find this helpful though.

Ibnu Andhika

Re: Bali jigs
March 08, 2011, 09:58:31 PM
try "chikara pod" by Kad Momotaro Pac (kadeki) good jig

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 08, 2011, 11:05:30 PM
Could you grab me a handful of the 500g and I will sort you out? The biggest I have is 400g and I'm not sure that will do it where we are going?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 08, 2011, 11:09:39 PM
Could you grab me a handful of the 500g and I will sort you out? The biggest I have is 400g and I'm not sure that will do it where we are going?

I will have so many on board Ben in 400 to 600 grams, no worries :). Equally, yep I can buy you a few no issues. Add it to your mum's bill  :P

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 09, 2011, 12:04:27 AM

I will have so many on board Ben in 400 to 600 grams, no worries :). Equally, yep I can buy you a few no issues. Add it to your mum's bill  :P

I love my mummy....hahaha! If you don't mind lending a few that would be excellent on a replace for lost or damaged basis, I have rings, cord and hooks to rig them up just no jigs over 400g.

Jason Lai

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 04, 2012, 12:50:59 AM
Hi Mark, i'm planning to go Bali on Mid of Feb 2012. Did you bought the Adhek jig from Pak Adhek himself or other shop around Bali? Besides Adhek lure, do you know where can i get the Heru's Lure too! Thanks, appreciate that.
Fishing is my passion, working is my hobby.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 04, 2012, 01:35:08 AM
Hi Mark, i'm planning to go Bali on Mid of Feb 2012. Did you bought the Adhek jig from Pak Adhek himself or other shop around Bali? Besides Adhek lure, do you know where can i get the Heru's Lure too! Thanks, appreciate that.

Hi Jason

You can visit Pak Adhek's workshop and buy directly from him. Usually though he has very few jigs in stock as they go out so fast.

The main retailer is Puri Pancing in Denpasar and they usually have quite a lot of Adhek jigs as well as the other Bali brands like Tong Kwie Predator jigs.

Puri Pancing
Jalan Diponegoro
Denpasar Selatan
tel: 0361-224858
Tell the driver that it is close to the junction of Jalan Diponegoro and Jalan Teuku Umar.

Heru, very difficult..... they are not for retail sale anywhere in Indonesia as far as I know. One of our Jakarta members might know otherwise (?) but I am fairly sure you will not be able to find them.
Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:55:00 AM by Mark Harris

Jason Lai

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 04, 2012, 01:55:28 AM
Hi Mark, thanks for the info. Will go and get a few jigs & popper for my up coming trip to Alor.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 04, 2012, 01:02:48 PM
If you just want a few, a visit to Puri Pancing will do the job. They have Adhek Jigs, Poppers and Stickbaits in a display corner on the ground floor.

Good luck with Alor. When are you going? Very sadly, the fishing there seems to have taken a hit from the multiple groups who have been killing all the fish they catch. Still a chance of very special fish but not as numerous as they were.

Jason Lai

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 04, 2012, 02:04:59 PM
Mark, the price that you mention earlier who did you bought is from? Do Pak Adhek sell directly to end user?

Thanks, I'm going on Mid May. A recent report from the Theodoras boatman they caught a 54kg GT by popping and numerous unstoppable hookup by jigging. According to the boatman it's a huge doggie. Most of the time the Assist hook Kevlar give way. I have come out with an idea to replace Kevlar to swivel and split ring. Hope it will works. Hopefully, i still have the chance to hookup a monster...hehe. 

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 04, 2012, 02:40:48 PM
The price for retail quantities is the same whether you buy direct or from Puri Pancing. Prices are up about 10-15% from those quoted above in early 2011.

On Alor, the MV Theodoras guys know the waters quite well. Dogtooth jigging around the Pulau Kambing sea mount can be absolutely maniacal.  It is hard to communicate what a monster Dogtooth feels like in those 7 knot currents (as well as even 600 and 700 gram jigs flying away horizontally!).   

Last time I had multiple monster Doggie hookups which resulted in many sliced lines and a broken rod.  Rather than assist cord failures, I think you will find the major problem is the very jagged underwater terrain.  One tip is that the best Doggie action is often at night - charge up luminescent jigs with a flashglight.
Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 02:45:29 PM by Mark Harris

Garry Wong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 04, 2012, 06:09:59 PM
Mark, the price that you mention earlier who did you bought is from? Do Pak Adhek sell directly to end user?

Thanks, I'm going on Mid May. A recent report from the Theodoras boatman they caught a 54kg GT by popping and numerous unstoppable hookup by jigging. According to the boatman it's a huge doggie. Most of the time the Assist hook Kevlar give way. I have come out with an idea to replace Kevlar to swivel and split ring. Hope it will works. Hopefully, i still have the chance to hookup a monster...hehe.

just a heads up for you mate,
on the recent trip during november if i am not wrong, one of my mate was using 1kg jig and it the line still a little bit adrift, everyone on board have at least 5 bust up, and my mate is actually has been beaten comperhansively by the monster in there with 12-0 score line ::)

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
January 04, 2012, 06:14:46 PM
1 kilo jigs... I can feel the pain .....  :-\ , but I am not surprised. Those Alor currents are simply mind-blowing. A massive amount of water rushes through a narrow gap.

Jason Lai

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 05, 2012, 05:25:49 AM
He must be a real hardcore jigger to jig a 1 kilo jig.

Has anyone successfully landed big Doggie in Alor? Any idea of setup to used?

Garry Wong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 05, 2012, 09:35:36 PM
He must be a real hardcore jigger to jig a 1 kilo jig.

Has anyone successfully landed big Doggie in Alor? Any idea of setup to used?

well, you don't necessarily need to be a hardcore in that situation as you already paying a good money to be there, and you have no choice when 1kg jig still adrift, i guess there is only 2 simple options
1. use the heaviest jig available and try to jig(weather you like it or not)
2. not jigging at all.