Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 10:52:58 PM by Antonio Gouveia

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Smith rod that allows me also the AJ's
January 07, 2012, 01:24:10 PM
Hi Antonio,
The 56L will be an ideal option for your target fish, how deep is your water and does the fish hold in mid water or at the bottom?

Antonio Gouveia

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
January 07, 2012, 09:40:34 PM
Thanks Sami for your reply...the point is exactly what you mention...we normally fish at 30 up to 60 m depht...and whenever an AJ strikes next to the botton at 30m is quite hard to hold him and I already lost some vey good fishes at the bottom...i start with my option in the 56L but I start to consider the 56M due to this fact....my doubt is just if the 56M can easilly work 90/100 grams jigs...
Thanks a lot Antonio.

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
January 07, 2012, 10:38:46 PM
Antonio,

That was the exact reason behind my question  :)
as a matter of fact you won't have any problem working the 100g jigs with the AMJ-S56M, the AMJ serious are parabolique in nature and have a softer tip action, in your case and due to those factor i would personally go with the 56M.
Good luck with your choice  ;)

Antonio Gouveia

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
January 08, 2012, 01:00:30 AM
Thanks Sami for your feedback....that was exactly the feedback that I was looking for.....I think that we will meet you in a near future probably in arabic lands...but let me first save some 's in order to get some popping gear that allows me to go there...I am already make my analisis on the needed gear....Cheers Antonio

Steve Li

January 09, 2012, 08:31:33 PM

What reel are you planning to pair the rod with? I have the AMJ 56L & 54H and used it to jig for NZ Kings. The 56L works jigs very well in the range of 150gm to 180gm. Anything more than that I think you should go for the 56M. I paired the 56L with a Saltiga Game 3500 loaded with PE2.5 (30lb+) line. The rod is indeed very parabolic but it may take a tad longer to work the fish boat side. Especially for fish over 12kg.......

The Smith AMJ series are one of my favorite jigging rods. They come with me on every trip! You won't go wrong getting either one of them!  ;) 

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
January 10, 2012, 10:15:11 AM
It's a different brand to you question Antonio, but I've used the Saltiga 63s for similar situations.  It's light, very easy to use for that jig range, and the longer length makes it quite versatile.

Within reason, you can also really put the wood on a decent fish if required.  Not sure if you can access this rod in your location, but check it out. 

I also own Smith AMJ S54H, a 52H(OH) and a S52EX - all excellent rods - nothing against them at all.