Sydney Neal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
fisherman monster cc72gt
March 06, 2011, 08:50:08 PM
Hi new to your site just purchased a fisherman monster cc72gt to fish out of a boat.
Not really sure of its specs as in pe class or lure range any suggestions would be appreciated cheers

Mike_Tan

Re: fisherman monster cc72gt
March 06, 2011, 11:22:59 PM
First thing you've gotta know about your new rod is its actual length ;) The 72GT is actually about 6'10". When I checked with Fisherman why is my "72" rod 6'10" they replied saying 7'2" is the total combined length of both sections of your rod ??? Next, the recommended "fighting drag" for the 72GT (Rated for PE8) is 6-7kg (input from Fisherman staff) so don't button down on your drag too much. Also, don't expect great distances when casting because the 72GT is terrible at that :-[ The color scheme is just about the only thing I like about my 72GT. Still wondering why I bought it in the first place ;D

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 07, 2011, 12:45:45 AM
LOL. That's a brutally honest review Mike!

Gareth Branicki

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 07, 2011, 10:51:13 AM
Might be brutal but the cost of setting yourself up when entering is huge with gt even with lbg i didn't stint on gear and before that ( and both my wife and 2 kids love their fishing, too much gear lol). rather i had some brutal advice straight up  at the moment still trying to pick a rod for heavy poppers
Mike like your honesty 
cheers
Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 10:59:15 AM by Gareth Branicki

Mike_Tan

March 07, 2011, 01:18:56 PM
:) hope I didn't offend any die hard FM fans here!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 07, 2011, 01:29:51 PM
mmmm, I wonder why my 77R10 is 7'10" long then?!  :o
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mike_Tan

March 07, 2011, 01:48:31 PM
LOL that you've got to ask FM because they've got the funniest way of rating their products. Even my BG86RS is about 8'2" when assembled so it's not just the Monster CC range that suffers from the "shorter than spec" syndrome
Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 01:53:26 PM by Mike Tan

Sydney Neal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 07, 2011, 07:22:43 PM
I actually quite like it.
All my other rod gear are over eight foot and growing up on five foot six rods casting a seven foot two (mine measures true) rod is a no brainer give an eight footer a run for its money.
What I wanted to know was what weight/type/ poppers stickbaits this rod can work
Cheers

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 07, 2011, 07:39:38 PM
Sydney if you can cast a 7 ft 2 rod far enough for GT fishing then definitely stick with it.  You have a large advantage over those of us who need to use longer rods. 

It is only ever a general guide, but on the Fisherman website this rod is rated to PE8 line class and a surprisingly massive 300 gram lure weight.  That's more than a Wild Violence 80XH for example.

See here: http://www.gt-fisherman3.jp/r10.htm

I don't really understand Fisherman rods at all, but all this seems to imply that it will handle very large chuggers without issue.  I have a feeling that such a short rod will not handle stickbaits at all well though.

I hope there is someone here who has serious experience with this rod and who can expand on that a bit.

Sydney Neal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 07, 2011, 07:57:47 PM
Thanks Mark
That's the kind of info I'm chasing. Not to worry about the stickbaits I've got other rods, I just wanted one to work in a boat, its not nice to dangle large lures with matching hooks in peoples face when you do a panic cast
I only fish out of a small boat

Mike_Tan

March 07, 2011, 07:59:41 PM
I actually quite like it.
All my other rod gear are over eight foot and growing up on five foot six rods casting a seven foot two (mine measures true) rod is a no brainer give an eight footer a run for its money.
What I wanted to know was what weight/type/ poppers stickbaits this rod can work
Cheers

Pardon me for asking but is your 72GT a R10 model? It will be really odd if 72GT comes in two different lengths! Anyway my regular 72GT works best with 150-200g plugs and loads better with a long dropper. Have tried flinging lighter lures like the dumbell and can't really feel it loading up. Anything over 200 and the rod will feel sluggish. IMHO there's a lot of better casting under 8'ers out there.

Sydney Neal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 07, 2011, 08:23:46 PM
Hi mike
You say there are better seven footers
What are they and are they available in full custom cause the off the shelf thread work don't impress me for the dollars
I enjoy building my own rods but can't find exotic two piece blanks to build on, thus the buying of fisherman and ripplefisher rods.
I have come across race point blanks but don't know how they load up

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 07, 2011, 09:05:53 PM
If threadwork is your consideration, then very few GT rods excel on that front. Indeed many go to the opposite extreme - the ultimate anti-bling rods like Carpenter :). I suspect Mike was referring more to performance.

You can have a number of the leading Japanese GT rods custom made but be prepared for very long waits and huge prices.
Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 09:11:29 PM by Mark Harris

Mike_Tan

March 07, 2011, 09:07:40 PM
Off hand I think the Smith Keyolhu, Komodo Dragon, Tokara 60, Black Devil 300 casts a lot better for heavy class sticks. It's true though, FM rods have one of the best finishes on the market. Do note that the epoxy coating is rather thin and will crack at the guide feet after a trip or two. Water will start sipping in and corrosion will set in at the guide foot. Since you are a rod builder I'm sure you know this should not happen if enough layers of epoxy is applied. Hope I'm not getting on your nerves by saying all the negative stuff about FM. I'm not anti FM and do own a few of their rods.

By the way is your 72GT a R10 model or off the rack piece?

Sydney Neal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 07, 2011, 10:07:08 PM
No mine is a full custom order
Fisherman monster cc72gt (ran my tape measure over it seven foot one and a bit)  my missus bought it for me so she got the I love you stuff over it and my name in Jap and English.
Some rod builders use a different resin that's more flexible I use jack erskins stuff never had a drama but I have come across the two layer job where under binding is done first then the top binding holding the guide feet.
But on my fisherman its done in the one hit, maybe layered,has a decent enough coat on it, did they paint the grinding on the guide feet I can't tell guess I'll find out later
But it looks pretty schmik.
My build time was pretty quick considering what I was told at start of build.
I was told carpenter do full custom-built sticks too is that true