• Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cheap Stickbait Option
March 22, 2007, 10:44:05 PM
Hi guys,

Just came across this on the Bluewater site...

http://www.bluewater.net.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_97_402&products_id=1350

Looks like it could be a cost effective option for GT anglers - nice and big too. Of course they are not the quality of the Japanese made ones and with that, may not be as effective but they definately provide an option for anglers who want to throw a stickbait in the baddest of GT badlands without being scared of losing a $100 note ;)

Of course, i can only speculate (regarding my comments) - i may pick up a few and trial them in the Marshalls/Kiribati in a few weeks.

Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 11:17:24 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Hal Harvey

Re: Cheap Stickbait Option
March 22, 2007, 11:13:51 PM
Thanks for the plug Luke. We've had these for a while and have no problems with them - in fact we're on to the second generation of them, with a better paint finish (compare them to some of the other Gillies poppers on the site!). But I haven't swum them myself, can't tear myself away from trashing expensive lures.

The hooks and rings are ordinary, but then that's true for just about everything off-the-shelf. Can't deny they're value for money though.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 22, 2007, 11:32:39 PM
Hi Hal - great to see you here. Thanks for helping me stock up on my poppers earlier today!   ;D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 27, 2007, 08:20:02 AM
Luke, Did you give the Gillies stickbaits a go in Kiribati ?, my local Tackleworld store got a couple in for me but I still need a heavy enough rod to use them.
 I did an action test in the testing tank where they would dart nicely just below the surface, they seemed a little bouyant but an upgrade in terminals should fix that. At Bluewater prices  makes it look a good entry level large stickbait [190mm / 130gms].
Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 08:42:10 AM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
May 27, 2007, 10:54:25 PM
Luke, Did you give the Gillies stickbaits a go in Kiribati ?, my local Tackleworld store got a couple in for me but I still need a heavy enough rod to use them.
 I did an action test in the testing tank where they would dart nicely just below the surface, they seemed a little bouyant but an upgrade in terminals should fix that. At Bluewater prices  makes it look a good entry level large stickbait [190mm / 130gms].

Unfortunately, it slipped my mind Greg. Will try to give them a shot next time (actually buy some!).

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
May 28, 2007, 06:52:48 PM
Might have to pick some up when I'm down in Perth in July.