Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rigging techniques...??
October 21, 2007, 07:19:29 PM
Just curious about peolpes rigging techniques for GT popping.
Are most guys doing a bimini then using a loop to loop connection for a twisted leader.
How do you then tie the twisted leader to poppers/stickbaits.....Crimps...???

I heard recently from a mate that some believe the twisted leaders can spook fish....???
and now some guys are still running twisted leaders to a swivel,them using single 100-150lb mono for a metre or two down to the popper..??

Suppose wind on leaders are another option..??

Thoughts appreciated. 8)

Pete

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Rigging techniques...??
October 21, 2007, 07:27:26 PM
Peter - most of the questions you raised have been discussed in detail previously. Check out some of the older threads under GT Popping Tackle & Techniques.

I believe you are much better off with twisted leaders than with a wind-on
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 21, 2007, 10:37:30 PM
Thanks Brandon...I will check.
Look before you leap.... :-[

Pete
Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 10:50:46 PM by Peter Morris

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 22, 2007, 08:40:59 AM
Peter, the photo you have is probably the best diamond trevally I've ever seen!

I've been wanting to catch a big one of those for a long time but can't seem to catch a decent sized fish. The smaler ones I've caught (up to a couple of kilos) can really go so I would think one that size would have fought like crazy.

I just went back and tried to find some of the posts where we have been discussing the topics you asked about - not that easy trying to find them again!

In a nustshell then:

• yes, I think all of us who use a bimimi use a connection that is loop to loop like a catspaw
  • in terms of attaching the twisted leader to the lure, you get everything! Some tie it on directly using a uni knot, others attach a swivel to the twisted leader and attach it to the lure with a split ring, some use a very, very heavy clip like they use in gamefishing. I prefer the split ring myself. It's an immensely strong connection and you can change lures easily. If you crimp the lure on, you will be cutting it off every time you want to change lures - not a good idea!
  • I've been using twisties for a long time and my personal opinion is that it makes absolutely no difference with a pencil popper or a chugger. It is probably arguable with a stickbait when the fish are very shy but I have to say that in my experience, I have not really noticed this.
  • The majority of people who want a single strand at the end of a twisted leader attach the single stand of mono or fluoro using a knot or crimps. I don't know anyone who uses a swivel. the mono/fluoro is nearly always 250lb+, not 100 - 150lb. 100 - 150lb is what you make the twisted leaders from!

I Have seen a few people using wind-ons for popping. They have always ended up with one of my twisties in short time! They wind-ons seem to catch when they're casting resulting in horrible results.

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 22, 2007, 11:20:07 AM
Thanks for the reply and your time Brandon.  8)
I think I will stick with the twisted leader onto a split.
I am dont have full trust with snaps and clips.

Can I ask you one other question.
When you do your very heavy twisty leaders say over 100lb.....How then are you connecting it to your split ring.
A uni knot is fine up to 100lb I have found but over that it becomes hard to tie......Do you crimp to a split ring....?

The diamond was caught landbased and was an awesome fight.
They are one of the prettiest fish when they come out of the water.

Cheers
Pete

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 22, 2007, 12:42:09 PM
Peter - check out this thread

http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php/topic,14.0.html

I think you will find most of us attach a swivel on the twisted leader and then we attach the lure to the swivel via a split ring.

If you want to run a single strand segment at the end of your twisted leader, then you can either crimp it together or you can tie a knot. The only knot I have foudn that works is a nail knot as I simply can't get the heavy single strand to bite. The nail knot is a pain in the behind to tie though.