Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I believe that 'tuskfish' have 2 clearly visible pig-like front teeth on each jaw, whereas true 'parrot fish' have fused teeth that form a beak-like structure , hence the name parrot fish. I was under the impression both parrotfish and tuskfish are  members of the wider "wrasse" family.

Angus Hulme

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
see the difference here.....

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
All correct Angus and they are of course different fish groups under the Wrasse family (Labridae).

Reading around though, the Australian colloquial term "Tusky" does seem to be applied to Parrotfish as well. Many recreational anglers put little store in accurate fish ID :)

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hi Guys, This is not so strange but I had to boat this wee Grey Reef shark to get my lure back!!!

Nick

Weather looks mint there Nick. Unfortunately Sharks are a far too common by catch when popping for GT's over here.

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Hi Guys, This is not so strange but I had to boat this wee Grey Reef shark to get my lure back!!!

Nick

I've seen a reef shark / whaler?  2 x 1/2 times that size pulled onboard to retrieve a lure (Cubera 150 from memory), long time ago now..  Went ballistic and not so easy to calm down. 
Not my idea of sensible risk management. 

Cheers David

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
be hell of an achievement to catch a tuskfish or a parrot fish on a GT lure  ;D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
You could try your Garfish techniques on those Brandon :) .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
It can only work if I can attract them right up to the surface first. If I could, I reckon I'd be a good chance with the garfish technique  ;D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
It can only work if I can attract them right up to the surface first. If I could, I reckon I'd be a good chance with the garfish technique  ;D

This technique can be quite effective on Milkfish  :P

Lee Margrave

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
O.K. Brandon & Jay..........I'll bite....I know this is something that obviously the "technique" is something you both of you know....If you don't mind me asking .what is this techingue?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Lee, this might give you a clue.

The 'Beat like a Dog' system, for Gar and Grouper
[/quote]

Lee Margrave

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
That is just too funy...Thanks Mark.....I'm still laughing...

roderick walmsley

Here is an interesting fish caught on charter with Nomad at Blight Reef- I think it is called a Maurie Sea Perch but maybe the other forum members can let us know if this is its correct name

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Rod, looks like a Maori Sea Perch to me.  I have seen one of these caught on popper in Eastern Indonesia as well.  Structurally rather like a Red Bass. Nice one!
Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 01:52:08 PM by Mark Harris

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Well it was jigging but just too good not to post.

There was about 60 years fishing experience on the boat when this thing was raised on a 400 gram jig off Batu Sebatu in Bali, and nobody had ever caught a snake before! After a lot of expert work with 2 gaffs (keeping the critter at a distance), it was released and swam away seemingly OK.

Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 03:40:43 PM by Mark Harris