Andrew Phillips

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
flats boots
March 20, 2011, 09:45:00 AM
just a quick post, going on a trip to Christmas island and after recommendations for flats boots for walking on coral. Also if you are aware of any one who sells them in Australia

Andrew

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: flats boots
March 20, 2011, 10:59:43 AM
Andrew,

Go to Tackle World and buy some of those Reflex shoes.

They are some of the best I have found for Land based fishing and walking on coral etc..

Only $30 too.

Pete

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 20, 2011, 10:50:09 PM
Simms FLATS SNEAKER  the best boot I have found wear with their   WET WADING SOCKS  they keep the sand out of the boots. Plenty of Simms agents in oz.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 21, 2011, 11:28:59 AM
There are many options amongst surfing shoes. I like the Rip Curl Reef Walkers. http://www.ripcurl.com/index.php?id=699,4303,0,0,1,0

Geoff Volter

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 21, 2011, 07:25:02 PM
Simms FLATS SNEAKER  the best boot I have found wear with their   WET WADING SOCKS  they keep the sand out of the boots. Plenty of Simms agents in oz.

just got a pair of these too, very impressed.

Andre van Wyk

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • DARK CONTINENT DARKSTAR RIDER
  • Liked:
March 21, 2011, 08:00:11 PM
I've had a Simms Flats Sneakers for 6 years, just retired them and replaced them with a pair of their new Flats Boots... both incredible, and you definitely need something of similar cailbre when wading the coral flats... sand flats you can get away with alot less, but if there is coral involved, don't try short change yourself with a shoe/boot that won't do the job...
To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth...

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 22, 2011, 01:35:06 AM
Some people use neoprene dive boots which are a fraction of the price of the simms. My fishing buddy bought a pair for a trip to the Bahamas, while they were fine for walking on sand every time we came to a patch of coral I had to give him a piggy back to get over, his boots were totally useless on coral do yourself a favour and get a decent pair of boots you only have 1 pair of feet.
Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 01:39:17 AM by doug terry

Franz Hirschberg

March 25, 2011, 07:49:30 PM
Hi 'dre. Seems to be lots of African lurkers here.

Can't wait to get my SIMMS flats sneakers which apparently have cleared customs. Landed for $69 a pair with reasonable shipping to SA. One issue in SA is that niche goods retail for twice the international price and have nothing to do with duties. Small market = big marketing expense to turnover.

One thing I am planning on using btw is neoprene socks we get here. Use them with cut-off gumboots for R&S fishing and they make a world of difference to the comfort levels. Does however mean I need to get size 14 boots :)