Lee Margrave

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Maniac lures
March 21, 2011, 07:47:11 AM
I had recently seen some Maniac lures on the internet.   I was wondering if any one on the forum has any hands on experience with these lures and can rate their perfomance and quality.  They look great. But would like to know that they hold up and perform well before buying any...... Thanks all.........Lee

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Maniac lures
March 21, 2011, 09:11:01 AM
I was going to ask the same thing. Very cheap and seem to be finished very well.

Ken Best

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 21, 2011, 09:32:55 AM
Gents,

Be careful, as I bought four cheap "copy" poppers a couple of years ago.
They didn't float unless I downsized the trebles and the finish came off after a one hour casting session with no fish!! 
The wiring was also very sub-standard.
I ended up giving them away.

For the same money I could have purchased a few R2S Dumbells, Halco Haymakers, Heru Cuberas, or Jai Bigheads.
The above lures are from established makers with a reputation to uphold, and are much better budget poppers than a lot of the cheap copies.

I guess I am trying to say, beware.....

Ken
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to, without beer" (Henry Lawson)

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 21, 2011, 11:33:16 AM
I would fully agree with Ken there. Never seen one of these Maniac lures, but if they are that cheap, it is likely that the finishes are poor and the wiring will not hold up.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 21, 2011, 11:50:18 AM
you could always buy those magnificent looking Luares lures that seem to be around the Tackleworld chain  :o
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Lee Margrave

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 21, 2011, 11:59:53 AM
you could always buy those magnificent looking Luares lures that seem to be around the Tackleworld chain  :o
Hi Brandon,  you lost me on that.......Lee

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 21, 2011, 12:08:52 PM

Less than desirable copies in an Australian chain of tacklestores, Lee.

Will respond to you email today  ;)

Lee Margrave

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 21, 2011, 12:17:28 PM
Like most things in life if it seems too good to be true it more than often is.  I remember a post that Brandon did not too long ago about some poppers that were failing badly and bore a strong resemblance to a good lure the Hammerhead.   Thanks to all......Lee

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 21, 2011, 01:42:01 PM
I have a pet hate about these because there was a Luares which was a direct copy of the River2Sea Dumbell - except it was literally  four times the size. The damn thing must have been over 400g! I was assured by one of the staff there that it was an awesome popper and that there were rods that could pop it, no worries but he couldn't remember the names of the rods  ::)

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 21, 2011, 03:35:03 PM
I have a pet hate about these because there was a Luares which was a direct copy of the River2Sea Dumbell - except it was literally  four times the size. The damn thing must have been over 400g! I was assured by one of the staff there that it was an awesome popper and that there were rods that could pop it, no worries but he couldn't remember the names of the rods  ::)

The rod was an Xzoga! How could he have forgotten that name? :o
AKA: Sunny

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 21, 2011, 03:54:04 PM
Just have a good dig around looking at Maniac Poppers.  Hard to know where they are based.  Looking at the retail prices asked they are not even that cheap,  and more than I would pay for an equivalent, proven Hero or Adhek lure.
Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 05:01:48 PM by Mark Harris

Vasko Dimoski

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 21, 2011, 07:36:26 PM
I had recently seen some Maniac lures on the internet.   I was wondering if any one on the forum has any hands on experience with these lures and can rate their performance and quality.  They look great. But would like to know that they hold up and perform well before buying any...... Thanks all.........Lee
Hello lee i have used this brand of popper before not the same one you have pictured my personal thoughts on this brand are  wire and popper build and finish was just as good as heru poppers also had no problem with them floating i used them land based of the rocks and bashed them on rocks a fare bit the wood i thought was just as hard if anything a bit better then the heru poppers worked well for me best way to find out is to buy one and try it out for your self :)
Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 07:37:59 PM by vasko dimo

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 22, 2011, 06:35:12 PM
Hi Brandon,
I found your favourite lure, beside a R2S 200 that has seen a bit of action...and a popper I did get from a homewares store.

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 22, 2011, 07:29:33 PM
Graham - wtf sort of Homewares is that thing??  ;D  Have you ever had a go at casting that monster?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 22, 2011, 07:53:40 PM
Graham - you didn't pay for that, I hope!!   ;D