Nomad Sportfishing

• Past Sponsor
  • Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Drive Out 20/3
March 22, 2011, 08:18:30 AM
Glanville:-We started off yesterday with a plan to fish a new area we had a couple of quick fish up on the end of the run in tide and decided to make a run for it to catch a couple of sexy looking blue holes which I thought would produce in the strong current very disappointingly we decided to make another move as the blue holes were dead, we found this nice looking ledge where we had GTs coming up on every second cast, packs of fish were eating anything they saw, unlucky we only managed to get another 3 fish. On arrival at our next reef I was kinda stumped as the current was flowing so strong I wasn't sure the fish were going to eat, I decided to look on the back edge of the reef and in the eddies...game time all the fish seemed to be using the eddies as an ambush point and we started slaying them double hook ups were the call and in the end we managed to get 18 solid GTs averaging about 22kg with the biggest pushing 30kg, with the weather forecast looking to be good for the rest of the trip should make fishing very entertaining.

Alex- Another gem of a day today. We started off hitting the blue holes and they were firing. Every hole had a pack of fish in them. We had much better odds today only getting busted off once to a 40kg fish right next to the boat. We managed to pull at least one fish out of every hole, with a bit of aggressive dory driving we managed to get everyone of them without much drama. By lunch we had 9 up to about 28kg. After lunch my guys were tired so we went on a light tackle assault. The trout, gold spots, sharkies and sweetlip were everywhere. The stand out lure was definitely the magic swimmer in 110 and 145 fast sink, slowly sinking them down next to a bommie with a few twitches got nibbles every few casts. One interesting occurrence was a nice GT hitting my 110 magic swimmer, I was having trouble burning around backwards while my little 4000 stella was screaming in protest (I only just had the drag replaced). Unfortunately it got me around a bommie after 5min but very entertaining. I'm keen to see how the rest of the blue holes go because if they were like today, there will be red dragon burning backwards, screaming drags and unreal takes in the clear shallow water, bring it on!

Peter: Today we started off fishing the outside edge for the remainder of the run in tide but with not much success. So we decided to have another approach and jumped into the blue holes. There were plenty of fish with good size to be seen in there. Underline the word SEEN, because once you're fishing in a blue hole your chance of landing big fish some what becomes a lot slimmer!! We hooked many but unfortunately managed to lose many as well giving (sports) fishing its real meaning!!! All in all a great action packed day.