gus cisneros

classifieds section
March 25, 2011, 02:48:40 PM
hi everybody!!
can someone tell me pls why i can't see the classifieds section anymore?
thanks.

Joseph Ngan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: classifieds section
March 25, 2011, 02:56:25 PM
There are new rules relating to the use of that section.

You need to contribute more to the forum first.

Ben Furness

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 25, 2011, 03:08:20 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but I beleive you need 20 posts prior?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 25, 2011, 04:29:35 PM
20 posts is correct.

Jaime Chee

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 25, 2011, 04:31:24 PM
Gus apparently you need to have 20 or more post in the forum before you are able to have access to the classified section .  This is a new rule due to some incidents of fraud.

jaime

Vinh Nguyen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 25, 2011, 04:34:06 PM
I guess I need to bump my post count

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 25, 2011, 04:36:00 PM
And you really think such stupid behaviour as that will do you any good?

DarrylMartin

March 25, 2011, 05:17:50 PM
Agree. Some people on here aren't able to contribute as much as others & instead of contributing along the lines of 'nice catch' etc. we choose to limit involvement.

I am into all forms of fishing, including GT surface luring & have been fortunate enough to fish with some members of this forum, however, I tend to contribute more so towards other forums that aren't purely focussed around GT fishing.

I respect the comment concerning fraud cases, but I don't beleive this will highly influence the matter.

Unfortunately for me, I am unable to view the classified section as well.

Bill Maguire

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
March 25, 2011, 05:36:55 PM
needing to have 20 posts before you can even view the classifieds ain't gunna solve the problem. It will just result in somebody maybe losing a sale.

Stupid rule IMO.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 25, 2011, 06:18:35 PM
I suspect the intention was to limit posting in those classifieds section rather than limit the viewing of that section.  There are drivebys here of folks who contribute nothing other than trying to sell gear.

Anyways I am sure Brandon will explain the intention when he next logs in.  There is a post explaining in the classifieds section but of course nobody with less than 20 posts can see it - I don't think that was the intention. And it specifically warns against spamming to increase a post count.

Bernie Keys

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 25, 2011, 06:23:17 PM
I'm a low poster as well.

I am of the firm belief if you have nothing to say then don't say it.

Many forums are clogged up with post like "I agree" & I also agree" and the classic "I don't know the answer to the question but I am sure someone out there does...."
(Just like this topic and its "this is another post to boost my post count  :) )

Perhaps it would be better to have a rule that says if you have a low post count you can't actually post to the classified section. It could still be seen and if people are selling things its simple to say "you don't get the goods till I get the money".

I have been caught on EBAY by someone but paying by Paypal and complaining saw the goods finally arrive albeit 6 weeks later. The guy involved was known on a lot of forums for the same thing...  >:(
Fishing is not life & death...its much more important than that!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 25, 2011, 06:25:38 PM
Perhaps it would be better to have a rule that says if you have a low post count you can't actually post to the classified section. It could still be seen and if people are selling things its simple to say "you don't get the goods till I get the money".

Bernie I suspect that was Luke and Brandon's intention and there is a glitch.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 25, 2011, 06:47:08 PM
GTPopping has decided to implement a new rule that requires a member to have made 20 posts in the forum before an item can be listed for sale in this section. One of the primary drivers for this was a fraud that happened a little while ago. We have requested the affected members to post up the details of what happened but this has never been forthcoming.   

The other key reason is that we've noticed a increasing element of people who have joined here simply for the purpose of posting items for sale. This section is provided for the benefit of active members and we feel like we're being taken advantage of by people who simply join for the purpose of disposing of an item(s) and have no intention of participating on this forum. This is in line with the move we made a while back to require people to be members before you could view the forum.

In any event, members are now required to have made a minimum of 20 posts before they can post in this section. The way this has been set up is that you can't view until 20 posts have been reached. We will be cognisant of people who post meaningless posts incessantly simply to get to that minimum criteria. I really hate having to react by deleting the meaningless posts which I have already had to do on this thread so please don't do that otherwise we will react accordingly. If you want to view the sales section, then start contributing in an active AND useful manner.

In terms of the various opinions about whether this measure is useful or not, that is irrelevant. GTPopping has chosen to implement this measure.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 25, 2011, 07:28:46 PM
Is it not possible to have it set up so that you can view the classifieds, but not post to them without 20 posts?

Seems this would allow genuine forum users (which I guess I dont classify as notwithstanding having read every post on here in the last 9 months) the ability to sell their items to a wider range of people, including those with sub 20 posts?

Can appreciate not allowing posting in the forum with sub 20 posts however, this sort of thing seems common in a number of forums I have used.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 25, 2011, 08:02:30 PM
Guys, we have implemented the new rule for a reason. Now, whether you agree with it or not, please abide by what we request.
I have now gone through and deleted one word posts from a member for the last time. There will be no further warnings.  >:(
If it swims; I want to catch it!