Zac Chilvers

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
FCL Labo UCB-72 Offshore
March 27, 2011, 05:55:27 PM
Just wondering if anyone has used this rod as a PE5 outfit and and how it handles poppers and stickbaits to the stated 100g. Also what size reel would be more suited  to the rod a 5000 or 8000 SW. I have an Elusive reef trip booked for  mid May so just looking at a lighter outfit option.

Cheers Zac

Tom Slater

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: FCL Labo UCB-72 Offshore
March 28, 2011, 11:06:29 AM
HI Zac,

The 72-Offshore makes a great PE#4-6 outfit. It balances up much better with an 8000SW or a 4500-5000 Saltiga rather than the smaller 5000SW.

I've attached a photo of the rod lifting a 7.5kg weight. You can see the rod has a fairly moderate action making it very comfortable for fighting fish. This rod has a heap of power but remains very lightweight so using it all day on big fish is no drama. The rod carries its stiffness all the way into the tip so working poppers is very easy.

Really delicate surface stickbaits may be a little difficult on the rod as it has a fairly stiff tip and you might lose some of the finesse needed to really get surface stickbaits working. On the other hand working sub surface stickbaits becomes easier because the water resistance starts loading the rod into that moderate action meaning you can still get some nice action out of the lures.

100g would be no worries for the rod. I think the sweet spot is somewhere between 60-90g but i have no hesitations that it could handle right up to and probably slightly over 100g lures.

If you have anymore questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Here is a link to the rod
http://www.fishhead.com.au/store/products/FCL-Labo-UCB%252d72-Offshore.html

Cheers
Tom

Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 11:08:54 AM by Tom Slater

Tom Slater

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 28, 2011, 11:10:31 AM
Also forgot to mention,

It is very comfortable lifting the 7.5kg weight.
I have lifted 9.5kg on it when we first recieved stock so you can imagine it has some serious power.

Cheers
Tom

Zac Chilvers

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 28, 2011, 09:29:45 PM
Thanks for the info Tom, will give you guys a ring in the next couple of days.

Cheers Zac