John Adams Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Best time to travel and fish Bali
March 26, 2011, 05:31:03 PM
Was wondering what time of the year would be best for GT and Doggies in Bali.  I plan on trying for both from shore and by boat.  I'm considering January or February of 2012 but my time frame is flexible as well.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Best time to travel and fish Bali
March 26, 2011, 06:02:30 PM
John, the only times to avoid fishing in Bali are June, July and August, with October to April being absolute best.

May I ask if you are planning a dedicated long haul fishing trip here? If so, you might want to think a bit more about that. My advice is always that Bali is a great place to fish if you are coming on holiday anyway, or as a cheap and very convenient fishing trip from elsewhere in Southeast Asia. The fishing though is a bit too inconsistent to warrant a dedicated long haul fishing trip. There are far better places in Indonesia for that.

I don't know of any spots where you can realistically target GTs above 10 kgs from shore. The spots for big GTs are around the offshore island of Nusa Penida which requires a boat trip. When the fishing in "on" there it is truly top quality.

Jigging for big Doggies is very tough here. There are plenty of monsters for sure (I and many others see them when diving!) but they are almost unbelievably difficult to catch. Smaller ones yes and jigging for these is very possible along with Amberjack, Ruby Snapper etc.

John Adams Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 27, 2011, 12:04:57 PM
Flying out from hawaii main focus of the trip would be fishing with sightseeing being worked into the trip as well.  I like to travel for food experiences as well.  Have a friend that's there now doing a back packing trip. 

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 27, 2011, 12:20:46 PM
Flying out from hawaii main focus of the trip would be fishing with sightseeing being worked into the trip as well.  I like to travel for food experiences as well.  Have a friend that's there now doing a back packing trip.

Then I would suggest also looking elsewhere in Indonesia.  I enjoy traveling for food as well by the way and you will not be disappointed on that front.

Depending on how long your trip is, have a look at combining Bali with Komodo and/or Lombok for example.  That would make for a great fishing/general travelling combination.

John Adams Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 27, 2011, 03:07:40 PM
Thanks for the reply I'm looking at probably a two or three week stay.  Komodo might be a possibility but may have to upgrade my gear for that trip.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 27, 2011, 03:49:43 PM
Thanks for the reply I'm looking at probably a two or three week stay.  Komodo might be a possibility but may have to upgrade my gear for that trip.

Gear required is really no different. Bali GTs and Komodo GTs are similar size and intensity.

John Adams Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 27, 2011, 06:24:33 PM
Any suggestions on poppers vs stickbaits, and color and action.  Do the fish respond more to big splashes and fast retrieves or do you basically have to find out what the fish like for that day?  I usually start out at a location making 10 casts with a faster retrieve rate making as big a splash as possible, Then do 10 more with a stop and pause action with surface poppers.  If I don't get any takers or chases then I usually move on.  With stick baits my first 10 casts are usually made with a retrieve as fast as I can reel in the lure, I follow up with 10 more casts at a slower speed,  If no takers I go to 10 casts at a stop and go action before moving spots.  Any pointers or suggestions?