james ong

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Coral viper... Is it me?
March 28, 2011, 02:26:42 PM
I have an opportunity to get a coral viper but I m not sure is it suitable for me. I m standing 169cm, 66kg and dun consider the strong type. This is my first time trying out popping for GT and my intended trip is Maldive. Is this rod easy on newbies? The price I m gonna pay for this rod, I can have lots of other choice out there. Is this rod worth getting?

Thanks...

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Coral viper... Is it me?
March 28, 2011, 03:21:44 PM
Hi james,

Jese...If you having trouble with the Viper then I reckon you might be in for a tough time.

I stand 170cm and weigh 85kg......Without being silly here you might need a little gym work..????

To me the CV is a dream to use but I started my popping with a shimano GT special so naturally the CV is just that much nicer its not funny.

Pete

Allan Chan Hian Lian

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 29, 2011, 03:26:37 PM
James, your opportunity lost, I've grab it, the only 1 in town ;D.
BTW I'm 178cm and weight 66kg too but I do some qym workout 8), hahaha testing my new baby soon...
Allanchl

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
March 29, 2011, 04:58:08 PM
James, If you are going to be stretched with the Viper on GT's you might want to reconsider your quarry.....not the rod.

It is easily one of the most managable rods for chsing GT's, anything less and you will be doing well to get your popper back to the boat!  It might feel heavy to a new comer, but go and pick up a couple of PE8 - 12 rods for comparison, they are down right crow bars on a small angler.

Seriously though, there is a minimum requirement for extracting a reasonable GT from it's lair, the Viper gets pretty close to that.  Whilst I would happily fight a GT in open water on my Saltiga 80 TN, I'm limited to 100 gram poppers and get I'd get comprehensively dusted in tiger country every time.

Hit the Pub........then hit the Gym, that's my advice!

Chuen Fan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 29, 2011, 07:36:47 PM
Ditto both Peter's advice.
AKA: Sunny