Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Saltiga Lever Drag
March 30, 2011, 12:52:32 PM
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone had jigged with a Saltiga Lever Drag yet?

Given the fact that Stella's and Saltiga's are rediculously expensive (as is everything in the sport we love), the conventional reel may be the option going forward...... for jigging anyway.

Thoughts?

Does anyone know when i can score one for a good price? PM me  :)

Chris

James Taylor

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Saltiga Lever Drag
April 16, 2011, 09:13:03 PM
They seem to be extremely cheap on Ebay.

Does anyone know if they are planning to release a left handed version?
Cheers

Jamie Moir

April 16, 2011, 09:42:37 PM
Didn't think they were really jigging focused. Whats with the nutty 7.3:1 retrieve in single speed or only in two speed?

Dan Harley

April 17, 2011, 12:20:22 AM
Ha ha I agree they are really nice looking/feeling reels.  I was playing around with them and asked the Daiwa rep about the retrieve he saw the look on my face when he said 7.3:1 and asked me what I thought it should be - I told him we like to jig with 4.4:1 is idea or even 4.1:1 like the old Accurates.  Regardless of that I ordered the 40 sized one in 2 speed as I get it at "Pro Staff" type of price it was not too bad for me.  I don't have it yet maybe 2 more weeks, I am excited to try it for Bluefin and hope I do not break it like most reels so far this year ha ha

Some guys recommend 7.3:1 for tile fishing but I have not tried it.  I would think its more for jigging Wahoo to Dogtooth tunas

Jamie Moir

April 17, 2011, 08:55:23 AM
Hi Dan,

whats news @ CMT?

Just a bit disappointed with Daiwa. The secret is out on how to build a decent jigger and yet they seemed to pigheadedly fail to service the market.

Getting some pro-staff pricing might get me onto trying one instead of armchair criticisim though ;)

Laters,

Jamie

James Taylor

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 22, 2011, 09:55:25 PM
I agree Jamie, I dont think they are jigging focused, but as a "left handed" jigger looking for a lever drag overhead I have to explore all possible options.

Cheers

Jamie Moir

April 22, 2011, 10:17:04 PM
Ahh being a lefty, thats harsh.

I swapped what hand I use for casting, but there was no point swapping for jigging as it was going to limit my choices for reels.

Andrew Cox

April 22, 2011, 10:25:24 PM
Nothing wrong with left handed jigging, why would you want you weaker arm doing all the work on the rod with your stronger winding, seems very strange.
If you are looking for the best dedicated left hand lever drag jigging reel a Jigging Master is the only way to go.

James Taylor

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 23, 2011, 04:25:40 PM
Sounds like you are a right hander who uses the right hand on the rod Andrew?

Are we now going to broach the thorny subject of strong dextrose arm on rod or reel?....Always a fun discussion

In the spirit of openness and to get my cards on the table, I am right handed who use right on the rod.

Keen to get your thoughts on the JM over Accurate for a light PE 3 Sydney use.

cheers

Andrew Cox

April 23, 2011, 06:51:09 PM
Sure are mate, wouldn't have it any other way, no point having my weaker arm trying to tackle monsters from the deep.

I am not going to go into any more detail which way it should be done it is very simple.

I am not going to go into any details here on the forum regarding which reel I would prefer, to many people will try to jump in with there opinions, if you view my recent jigging trip between 7 anglers there was about 25 Jigging Master reels on board and no Accurate reels.
Sydney has the largest stockiest of Jigging Master gear in Australia if you would like to go and view send me a PM for details.

Cheers Andrew

James Taylor

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 23, 2011, 09:28:01 PM
Thanks Andrew, much appreciated.

I will check out your recent trip. Also keen to hear any views from people who has used both reels?

Thanks again

Dan Harley

April 25, 2011, 04:06:24 AM
Hi Dan,

whats news @ CMT?

Just a bit disappointed with Daiwa. The secret is out on how to build a decent jigger and yet they seemed to pigheadedly fail to service the market.

Getting some pro-staff pricing might get me onto trying one instead of armchair criticisim though ;)

Laters,

Jamie

Hey Jamie

Not a problem be happy to.  I have a 40LD2SP on order, PM or email me with what models you consider and I'lll let you know what I can get you one for.

Jamie Moir

April 25, 2011, 08:36:00 AM
Ahh I meant armchair criticism is nice and cheap for those of us without prostaff pricing. Do let us know how you like it, I may change my mind yet!

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 28, 2011, 11:10:28 AM
Thanks for all of the opinions guys be they on topic or not. Always enjoy reading reply's on this website.
I ended up going past the Saltiga for a Jigging Master PE5.

Cheers,

Chris