Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sevenseas Hooker jig
October 26, 2007, 08:36:09 AM
Does anyone here use these jigs and if so, what is the best way to work them?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

DarrenC

Re: Sevenseas Hooker jig
October 26, 2007, 12:14:28 PM
Like Matsutani does! Long stroke - 3 cranks! But it's pretty physically demanding!

They are classified as darting jigs and although the 'long jerk' will bring out its best, the typically faster 'short strokes' also work well for the local guys i know, so long as the jerks are rapid enough to get the jig to dart on every lift...

Just my 2 cents.  ;)

Mark Stotesbury

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 29, 2007, 11:20:18 PM
Hi Brandon
i use a fast shortstroke retrieve[rodbutt in a blackmajic bucket]and crank as fast as possible,but also a yo-yo type retrieve fairly slow both work well on yellowfin tuna and albacore .try to lay your hands on some pink hookers the blue /gold works well for us
cheers mark     

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
October 30, 2007, 07:38:57 AM
thanks Darren/Mark

Every time I look at my big jigs, I wonder why the hell I do this to myself. When I look at a nice popper (say 130g, reasonable but not ridiculous cup mouth), I feel happy. When I look at a jig (300g+), it's like looking at a Hammerhead I Cup or Fisherman Bigmouth HP - I only think of pain and worse, when it looks suspiciously like a high speed jig, I get this sinking feeling of two or three drops and I'm dead!  :D

I also have this really bad habit of hooking up on the drop before I'm intending to have a rest!

DarrenC

October 31, 2007, 01:05:19 PM
Well Brandon, that's what makes jigging so addictive don't you think?  ;D ;D ;D

And Hookers have an uncanny knack of outfishing most others on board!

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
October 31, 2007, 01:35:49 PM
thats why they're called HOOKERS.....they have the uncanny knack of "hooking" up. ;D 8)

To answer your question... I use long strokes via the gimbal belt or just a straight quick retrieve. Most of the hookups actually comes from the drop becoz it has a very tantalizing fluttering drop.

Aaron Concord

November 20, 2007, 11:02:48 PM
Got a yellow/white one a Japanese mate gave me back in 2003.
Got my " deepest capture" on it....287m off Break Sea spit...weighs 300gm and was using a GT rod for snapper AJ's, yellowtail kings and pearlies..an awesome jig that seems to work well by 3 quick lifts then a quick drop/flutter....most baitfish don't fall backwards though the fish chasing these things don't seem to mind!!!
A simple fast "kingie" rip up.stop.rip up works well too!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 22, 2007, 06:00:03 AM
287m?!  :o
for me, that's best left as a spectator spot!   :D

Aaron Concord

November 26, 2007, 08:42:02 PM
Brandon,
When Damon fitted the 3400 Kevlacat with a 1kw transducer, all of a sudden we were seeing things down the continental shelf that we never saw before, so we thought we might try and catch them....had a little puff n pant after the AJ!!!!

IT IS DEEP FOR MANUAL GEAR....been there done that box is ticked!!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 26, 2007, 10:17:14 PM
Aaron, all I can say is that I am most grateful he didn't take me to that spot in February. I think Damon saw my pitiful jigging technique and decided I wasn't up to it!  :D

Aaron Concord

November 27, 2007, 10:45:58 PM
Brandon,
The fish were damn hungry...not a heck of a lot of action was needed to hook up!
I lifted once to hook a 12kg AJ...Tim Baker was SNAGGED in 230m of water. We drove off and the jig pulled free, he lifted and hooked up on an AJ...Eddie(50cigarette man a day) Kazama pulled a 6kg snapper out of 240m....it WAS fun!!!
Ridiculous!! But fun!!

Aaron.

Tim Mitsopoulos

December 11, 2007, 09:59:52 AM
Brandon,
The fish were damn hungry...not a heck of a lot of action was needed to hook up!
I lifted once to hook a 12kg AJ...Tim Baker was SNAGGED in 230m of water. We drove off and the jig pulled free, he lifted and hooked up on an AJ...Eddie(50cigarette man a day) Kazama pulled a 6kg snapper out of 240m....it WAS fun!!!
Ridiculous!! But fun!!

Aaron.

Gee guys , being quite new to the forum i didn't realise who some of you were.
Aaron i just watched 5 Days at Fraser , that Eddie had me on the floor in tears , especially the part were you guys are jigging and he is doing it from a fold out camp chair pumping the rod with cigarette in hand.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 11, 2007, 01:47:15 PM
Eddie is my hero  ;D

Aaron Concord

December 12, 2007, 06:30:31 PM
Tim,
Just tried to upload a pic of the Eddie Lama, Spirtual Guide....184kb and I got rejected!!!!
I'll need to talk to Luke...said upload folder was full or something...

The Eddie Lama is karama & mojo gifted.....he's a crack up to film & fish with....a great friend.

When we get the tech difficulties of the pic sorted I'll post it...he DOES look like a GT/Jigging spiritual guide!!

Cheers

Aaron.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
December 12, 2007, 07:06:42 PM
Should be resolved now guys ;)