Bernie Keys

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Finding Fish-what to look for
March 28, 2011, 09:57:58 AM
Similar to Gary's post on lures

What do you look for when fishing new (or even old) locations?

Is there anything specific you can nail down about when you select that current swirl or chop?

Do people think the depth matters all that much as far as away from the currents round that bommie or point?

For that matter is there a preference for that bit of rock or reef being above the surface?

Is there a preferred casting distance & why, ie in very close and try and drag the fish with the boat or a little further out  and rely on the drag to get the fish out from the rough stuff ?

Yeh, I know its a bit like how long is a piece of string.....but when I first started fishing for big Yellowfin Tuna I struck the same problem, you seldom catch them until you know how to catch them & you don't know how to catch them till you actually catch a few.  ;D
Fishing is not life & death...its much more important than that!

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Finding Fish-what to look for
March 28, 2011, 04:54:40 PM
Strong run, no swell, small chop, Long cast to up-current edge of isloated bommie, 1.5m below water, 2metres vis....2 pops away from bommie and hold on???

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 29, 2011, 04:22:08 PM
I'll take the question as what would be my perfect setup for a GT spot...

Strong current pushing from deep water onto a bommie that comes out of the water creating a pressue wave on the front of it.  Bait schooled on the leading edge, light chop, light swell, overcast, drift in with motors off to casting distance.  Fire cast in past bommie into calm eddy/backwater but as near to rock as possible.  Work lure back from calm sheltered water back into pressure wave/bait area on leading edge...hold on  :D

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 29, 2011, 05:11:11 PM
Travis,
You cast Tooooo close and got BUSTED

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 30, 2011, 08:03:02 AM
Travis,
You cast Tooooo close and got BUSTED

Trying to jog my memory here but I think on our last trip I did lose two lures...oh hang on, that was you Graham  ;D ;D

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 30, 2011, 09:37:40 AM
Ha Ha Ha,
Yeah, but only 1 to a fish. The others I couldn't even tie a decent knot!....Just throw the lures away....Thats why I use cheap lures.

Bernie Keys

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 30, 2011, 07:34:54 PM
I'll take the question as what would be my perfect setup for a GT spot...

Strong current pushing from deep water onto a bommie that comes out of the water creating a pressue wave on the front of it.  Bait schooled on the leading edge, light chop, light swell, overcast, drift in with motors off to casting distance.  Fire cast in past bommie into calm eddy/backwater but as near to rock as possible.  Work lure back from calm sheltered water back into pressure wave/bait area on leading edge...hold on  :D
So..from above and the following replies it seems not only look for pressure waves etc, but keep your eye out for lures left clinging to the bombie or floating away... :)

Seriously though thanks heaps.
Fishing is not life & death...its much more important than that!

Scott Williams

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 30, 2011, 08:15:00 PM
Aside from the presence of current, does the stage of the tide seem to matter ?

Travis, your description sounds a little like Conical Rocks  ;).

Scott.

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 30, 2011, 11:14:23 PM
Bernie,
The longest casts I make are with line detached, so I would suggest looking somewhere near high tide mark for my poppers.I reckon one made it into the trees up north.

Scott,
Don't listen to Travis,I'm right, he's wrong. His description fits 100 spots around cq.