Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Tying the FG Knot
April 20, 2011, 08:11:13 PM
Sounds good Gavin. My only comment is that I would do more than 6 half hitches after your main tighten.  I do 16, with 2 before the tighten, so 18 total. I do believe the half hitches are very important and most times I have seen FG knots fail is when too little attn is paid to the half hitches.

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 20, 2011, 10:00:35 PM
I never count my half hitches, but in terms of length I do it similar to what is show here (http://www.jigsdirect.com/eMerchantPro/pc/fishing_knots.asp) with the PR and haven't had any hassles.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 20, 2011, 10:19:22 PM
If you haven't had one fail Gavin, it can't be flawed  ;).
10-12 wraps done like Pete's video or off the rod tip like a Sebile knot, then 4 half hitches and pull up tight, followed by 4 more to lock the main line and leader does me, finished with 6 half hitches and a three turn Rizzuto finish up the mainline, oh! and a melted blob.

Sebile knot [another wrap alternative way]
How to tie a Sebile Knot by Jay Withers a Saltyshores How to Series.
Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 10:44:22 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
April 21, 2011, 07:02:37 AM
I was shown FG knot by Richard Foong at Anglers Hut, he keeps it small and simple, casts like a dream
I only do 10 wraps (20 crosses) then 8 half hitches (alternating) on mainline and leader, then pull tight- mainline against leader until braid changes colour on the crosses, you will see it bite in. Finish with 4 half hitches on mainline, cut tag's and all done.
Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:39:58 AM by Chris Young

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 21, 2011, 07:26:56 AM
that sebile knot is about as original as those weezel lures we saw here a couple of years ago.  ::)
I should take an advanced albright and add two alternating half hitches to the end to lock it and finish with a rizutto and call it a brandon knot  ;)  ;D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 21, 2011, 09:22:27 AM
I actually use the 'Brandon knot' sometimes, rather than a standard albright for jigging  ;)
The only part of the Sebile knot I utilize is doing the alternate wraps off the rod tip, the rest of the knot! well  ::)
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
April 21, 2011, 09:23:42 AM
I actually use the 'Brandon knot' sometimes, rather than a standard albright for jigging  ;)
The only part of the Sebile knot I utilize is doing the alternate wraps off the rod tip, the rest of the knot! well  ::)

Sebile knot lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 21, 2011, 02:24:32 PM
hahahahaha!!
Looks like I am not the only one who questions the originality of this knot!  ;D
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Kevin Hulse

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 22, 2011, 01:10:55 AM
Thanks Pete for starting this thread. Very informative! :D

Steve Carruthers

April 22, 2011, 05:30:15 PM

Howdy guys, before a trip I cut a heap of leaders to length, tie on a swivel and burn the ends so all that remains is the tying. Speeds things up a bit and no fiddling with heat near the braid.