Thien Dao

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Tanzania
April 05, 2011, 05:52:31 AM
Thinking about doing a trip to Tanzania next year to chase those oversized bonito they have there, in particular the area around Latham Island. Has any member fished this area before? Travelling there looks a bit grim:

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Tanzania

However, I noticed Thailand, Panama, and Costa Rica (places I would not hesitate to visit) fall under the same category. Any tips from people who have visited or fished the area?

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Tanzania
April 05, 2011, 08:42:10 AM
Hi Thien,

I have lived for a total period of 7 years in TZ (moved back to Denmark in 2000). I still visit the country 3-4 times every year. I have fished at Latham, Pemba Chan. and Kilwa. Personally, I see no reasons why you should hesitate to visit TZ. However, keep in mind that TZ is still a low-income country and with less developed infrastructure as compared to the countries mentioned.

Best wishes,
Dan

Juan Sala

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 05, 2011, 09:27:34 AM
Hello I've been fishing in Tanzania twice, first time in kilwa (2006) and the second in Mafia and latham (2007).
the balance of both trips wasn't bad but i don't think i will repeat again.

Latham area went famous for the monster dogtooth around 100kg got there  but the area is overfished.
We fished 4 days there and have two very good days popping for GT around Latham island (the GT of the avatar is a latham GT) but the third  find local fisherman with dynamite!!!!! no more fish of course.
Some friends went to latham later with poor fishing...

We haven't security problems but the trips were few years ago.

Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:30:12 AM by Juan Sala

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 05, 2011, 03:31:23 PM
I agree with previous posts, I spent a couple of months in Tanzania around 2 years ago and found it felt very safe.

I wouldnt hesitate to go there. It wasn't a fishing trip for me, so only did 1 day out of Zanzibar, but didnt do too well.

Have a look at the pemba game fishing club website, i found that helpful.

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 05, 2011, 03:42:46 PM
Unfortunately, there are now very few stretches along the Tanzanian coast which are entirely free of dynamite fishing. In that context it is an advantage that Latham is somehow far from the coast line and it is difficult for the smallest vessels to reach the island. I cannot say how much of the reef that is overfished and/or have been exposed to dynamite - we landed dogtooth there in March 2010. 

Juan Sala

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 05, 2011, 07:09:20 PM
Unfortunately, there are now very few stretches along the Tanzanian coast which are entirely free of dynamite fishing. In that context it is an advantage that Latham is somehow far from the coast line and it is difficult for the smallest vessels to reach the island

For us was a surprise too, to find this small boats around the island, even when we had to go back to Dar es Salaam every night because of wind!!!.
People from the charter ask us to take pictures of them to report the authorities, but is very difficult they could do anything

Thien Dao

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 07, 2011, 11:03:27 AM
Thanks Dan(s) and Juan for the information. Hmmm...fishing there may not be as untouched as I thought. :(

I was thinking of fishing with these guys:

http://www.fishingtanzania.20m.com/latham.html

Doggies/gt's/yellowfin by day and broadies by night...

Juan Sala

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 07, 2011, 04:52:17 PM
Hello, i fished Latham and Mafia with them and know very very well the Latham area, if the you have good weather don't doubt to have overnight in the boat, it's a long way from Dar es Salaam...
I don't know if you are more intersted in popping or jigging, they could do both things but sometimes it seems they preffer to go jigging! and we have to insist to stay in the popping area.
You can see some picts of my trip of Latham here
http://www.juansala.net/p/latham.html
Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 05:02:28 PM by Juan Sala

Thien Dao

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 08, 2011, 02:50:52 AM
Thanks for the photos Juan, looks like beautiful water there. What do you think of the operator? I prefer jigging over popping so have no problems with that.

Juan Sala

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 08, 2011, 03:03:37 AM
If you prefer jigging i think they are the right people, they introduce Latham to the popping-jigging world, they have landed many, many huge Doggies and all the other operators came later, when we fished there, there was other boats following them trying to find their spots.
They know the area very well with very good spots, And Maddy and Jason love his job.

Martin Gundersen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 09, 2011, 08:49:56 AM
I was just in TZ for a week with Jason and Maddy. The fishing was poor, but we got some nice GT's up to 35kg. Jason and Maddy where disappointed about the result, there should also be some over 40kg. All of our GT where caught outside Mafia. We also tried  Latham, but didn't catch anything worth mention. All of out GT where caught on poppers. The jigging was really bad, just one small doogie.
We also caught, 2 broadbills, 3 sailfish, 1 blackfin marlin, 1 striped marlin, and (of course) lost a few.

Even if the fishing wasn't great, I wouldn't hesitate to go back (maybe next year)
Tight lines
Martin

Thien Dao

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 09, 2011, 11:40:58 AM
Thanks Martin, I might go just for the chance of a broadie! :)

Martin Gundersen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 11, 2011, 04:16:10 AM
The broadie was a bit of a disapointment. I lost a huge one and caught a 39kg. But the fight wasn't to fun. We used marlin equipment (50-80lb), and I think it's to stiff rods. And they use a weak drag because of the weak mouth on a broadie. I belive a 30lb gear would be much better and more fun.

Today I visited a fishing show i Norway, and I met the guy who arranged my trip to TZ. I told him I was intrested in another trip to TZ. Hopefully it would be better fishing next time.
Tight lines
Martin