jason jeffrey

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Exmouth Expedition
April 06, 2011, 07:15:03 PM
Great post Jason.

Do you mind sharing what area you were in off Exmouth? Were you out around the islands?

I have 18 days to go till my trip and am getting pretty excited, but it is my first trip up north on my own boat so wont have the benefit of the knowledge of the charter skippers up there.

Will have 8 days to get into as many fish as possible!
No worries Dan we had planned to head out around the Islands but the weather was predicted to get up to around 25 knots for both the days we had available to us, day one it blow around 25 and day two it didn't eventuate. Thinking it would blow both days we simple fished south of Exmouth for both days this water gets more pressure than the islands but it still has that untouched feel about it, we didn't see another boat for the two days we fished. I have never fished the islands but have been told that they are flat and offer very little protection so check the weather before making a run out..
All the best for your trip Dan.
Cheers
Jas
Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 08:08:26 PM by jason jeffrey

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 06, 2011, 07:42:48 PM
we simple fished south of Exmouth for both days this water gets more presser than the islands but it still has that untouched feel about it, we didn't see another boat for the two days we fished.

I have fished the islands on a few occasions and personally don't rate it compared to fishing the Ningaloo Reef itself. I have to disagree Jason, I think from a GT perspective the islands have much more pressure than south of Exmouth. You also have limited options at the islands compared with countless kilometers of reef edge when you fish the reef.

jason jeffrey

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
April 06, 2011, 08:06:51 PM
That interesting Jay I was disappointed not to get out to the islands but maybe it was a good thing we fished South.

Cheers Jas

Leigh Freestone

April 06, 2011, 08:39:43 PM
Im with you Jay spent 3 months in exmouth last year and popped every island , rock, and shoal on my plotter, and had a lot more sucess at the back of the reef. The islands have copped a lot of pressure and the gt there seemed to be educated to me, ??

Clay Hilbert

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 07, 2011, 10:16:34 AM
Thanks for the report Jase! Good job on the marlin and G's. Got me excited for my trip up that way! Will definately be investing in more runbohs!

Kevin Hulse

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 09, 2011, 11:44:50 AM
Love your work Jason, some fantastic pics there. Sounds like an amazing place to fish!

Sam Colvin

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 09, 2011, 03:12:39 PM
Yep, Eddy knows his stuff.

Heard about the big Bass last week, that thing is horse!

Some nice G's there aswell, looks like a good trip
Cheers,
Sam

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 09, 2011, 03:35:32 PM
That interesting Jay I was disappointed not to get out to the islands but maybe it was a good thing we fished South.

Cheers Jas

With the islands now much more accessible due to the better ramp at Bundegi (we used to have to trek it from the Marina) the islands will be even more flogged.

You could easily cover most if not all of the spots of North and South Murion in a day or at the very most two. There are some long stretches of sand that are not so productive for GTs, while the few known spots concentrate alot of pressure from anglers.

As Jay said, if one compare this to a few hundred km's of fringing reef with points and channels running from Exmouth all the way down to Coral Bay, one get's a sense of the gap of what's on offer...

On a (much) longer ride out, you can probably do a loop popping around Peak Island in under 30 minutes. Both Peak and Long island east of that are relatively flat and sandy. Heading further east of Peak Island only brings you to more flat sandy outcrops save Rosily Cay (another tiny speck of rock in the middle of nowhere) and that itself is a very long run. The next stop for a pop would be Barrow Island. This place is actually very good - but that is an epic run out from anywhere along the coast - Exmouth or Onslow.

In other words, take it from someone who has done the hard yards - you didn't miss out on anything and fishing south was a good call. If you think the southern spots you were fishing gets some pressure, it just means you weren't fishing south enough at all!  :P
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Jim Isherwood

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
April 09, 2011, 06:12:31 PM
Ashburton and Turtle island look reasonable ground guys , was there last week but tides and wind were against all day , going back next break , also worth noting there are plenty of small cays south east of Long( Surrierier island ) that have pumped a few fish before !!!