Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Carpenter product questions!
November 08, 2011, 11:59:23 AM
Tak, thank you so much.

The two factory reasoning is clear and makes perfect sense.

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 08, 2011, 12:25:48 PM
Hi Mark,

Thank you for your feedback. I was talking to Konishi-san late last night and your feedback is with him now.

The difference between two handles is no more than cosmetic reason and as Brandon mentioned, Carpenter in-house handles have been built with this way for long time and it won't be easy to change this for a few reasons.

With standard models, there are two types of handle exist as you mentioned. Reality is Carpenter uses two factories to build their standard models and they build handles differently - one does with exposed female ferrule and the other does without - and it is depending on which factory Carpenter assigns the job. This means same model could have different type of handle on next production.

Cheers,
Tak

Tak, many thanks for the explanation. Really cleared up my mind why Carpenter have two different type of handles. Salute!!!

cheers
izhan

Garry Wong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 08, 2011, 01:00:55 PM
i do actually have the loose joint problem as well on my new cv79/40 special aus edition,
since i aware with this issue i just apply an extra careful by tightening the joint more often  after every 10 cast or so.
maybe as advised, i will try put a wax and see if it can fix the issue

from previous topic " problems with loose ferrules"

A friend of mine had these problems with his newly accquired Carpenter MonsterHunter.  :'(
His male joint flying out during heavy casting in Maldives. He said his new MH has loose ferrule (joint) which got space inside the joint section resulting in no grip.
Only the top section is tight. He said the female part also cracked during the incident.

So when my friend came back to KL, he customized the female ferrule with aluminium sleeve.

I wonder if this situation has ever happened to Carpenter users?
Do we need to modify the female section i.e. modified to metal ring to prevent break?
Is the epoxy binding for the rod but is not strong enough to prevent the blanks cracks?

many thanks
cheers
izhan

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 08, 2011, 01:03:19 PM
Wax, wax and wax Garry.

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 09, 2011, 11:58:48 AM
No worries Mark.

Garry - Where are you based? I'll PM you if we can check your rod.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 09, 2011, 09:07:42 PM
No worries Mark.

Just further on that Tak, got my hands on my EP 82/38 for the first time today, and it has no exposed female Ferrule. Made me very happy as I was planning to change the foregrip immediately if it had :).

Stu Hardy

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 10, 2011, 05:03:49 AM
Will the EP 82/38 cope with the Gamma 200?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 10, 2011, 07:04:07 AM
It's asking a lot from the rod, Stu. It is outside the stated capabilities of the rod.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

John Flores

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 12, 2011, 08:14:52 AM
Hi,

Max drag on the Blue Chaser BLC83/40 Power Max is 20kg...is that true?

After waching a few video's of the rod in action, the rod look's soft with lot's of bend for a 20kg rod.

Thank's!!

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 16, 2011, 12:10:06 AM
Hi,

After waching a few video's of the rod in action, the rod look's soft with lot's of bend for a 20kg rod.

Thank's!!

Hi John,

Drag rating on BLC rods are different from other GT rods and maximum drag 20kg on BLC83/40R-PM is when rod is at 0 degree angle (pararel to ground). As you have mentioned, berry and tip section of this rod is soft and rod is not meant to fight on 20kg drag at 45 degree angle which many people would think about drag rating.

We know this rating method on BLC still confuse some people and we will try to explain this in better way if you could give us some time.

Cheers,
Tak

Wan Izhan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 16, 2011, 02:09:11 AM
Hi,

Thank's!!

Hi John,

Drag rating on BLC rods are different from other GT rods and maximum drag 20kg on BLC83/40R-PM is when rod is at 0 degree angle (pararel to ground). As you have mentioned, berry and tip section of this rod is soft and rod is not meant to fight on 20kg drag at 45 degree angle which many people would think about drag rating.

We know this rating method on BLC still confuse some people and we will try to explain this in better way if you could give us some time.

Cheers,
Tak

Hi Tak,
BLC is mainly for fighting kingfish, rite?
Any suggestion on the drag setting at 45 degree angle?
Anyone tried using this rod for GT?

cheers
izhan

Tak Otsuka

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 16, 2011, 06:07:05 PM
Hi Izhan,

Yes BLC series has been designed for Kingfish as well as Tuna fishing and it is main reason why Carpenter took different approach when they set max drag for this series.

I have rough idea about max drag for 45 degree angle but I'll need to do some calculation with Carpenter to confirm it before I post it here.

John Flores

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 16, 2011, 09:41:25 PM
Tak,

Thank you for the reply...i'll wait to hear what the max drag on a 45% angle is.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 16, 2011, 10:48:35 PM
Hi Tak n John ,

I was sceptical with BLC blanks before and even told Konishi-san when he visited us last month , I beg him to leave one of the tester' rod behind for me to try and last week I had my chance . I tested BLC84/22R P-1 on GT recently during my trip to Banda Sea , I caught a 30 kg GT using PE5 line with 6 kg initial drag and increase the drag gradually to 10 kg once the fish is circling underneath to float the fish for photo session n release . It's not a feeling you get from other rods specifically designed for GT but this particular BLC blank was kind to my ageing un-conditioned overweight body .

After testing the BLC84/22R P-1 in relatively weak current , I no longer am a sceptic and now can't wait to test BLC80/35R P-Max Super Cobra in the fast flowing water and BLC70/20R SMC on sailfish . By the look of it , I may have to sell the older Carpenter rods of mine soon .

Jon .
Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 11:04:15 PM by Jon Li
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Rory McPherson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 17, 2011, 05:20:18 AM
First posting ! Hi , I'm a Carpenter fan and am currently using the BLC 84/18 for Kingfish and am waiting on a 80/35 inpaitently. I had an EP85/36 and was wondering why this rod only had a max drag of 10kg when even the lightwieght BLC was rated at 11kg , What I'm asking ,Tak ,is the EP drag actually rated at 10kg at a 45 degree angle ? This would explain a lot to me if this is so , very good rod and had no problems working 120-160 gr gammas with it .Many thanks