Adrian Braun

Re: penn torque spin reel
April 13, 2011, 08:29:03 PM
A month after this thread started, have anyone here put it to test or heard from anyone who did? I am thinking about a 7 size but the lack of real life feedback is worrying me

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
April 13, 2011, 08:40:17 PM
It's dead weird that there are not lots of independent user reviews of this reel on the American sites.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 13, 2011, 08:43:49 PM
A month after this thread started, have anyone here put it to test or heard from anyone who did? I am thinking about a 7 size but the lack of real life feedback is worrying me

What sort of money are you looking to pay Adrian and what will you use the reel for?  I would not mind betting that you can find an established star reel for the same function and similar money without taking a punt on this relatively unknown thing.

Adrian Braun

April 13, 2011, 10:43:51 PM

What sort of money are you looking to pay Adrian and what will you use the reel for?  I would not mind betting that you can find an established star reel for the same function and similar money without taking a punt on this relatively unknown thing.

Thanks Mark. Unfortunately I am looking for a spinning reel, not a conventional one. I will be using it mostly for hi speed popping and I am going on my first GT trip with 2 friends in June. They all have Stellas and I was wishing this reel at nearly half the price would be a good match. I have a Saragosa 18000F that has 5.7:1 ratio. I guess it will have to do it because I can't risk buying aPenn before I read enough user feedback. I wish I could afford a Stella SW. I used one of my friend's and it was like a dream.   

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 13, 2011, 10:58:14 PM
By "star",  I meant very good rather than star drag :) :).

Nothing wrong with a Saragossa 18000F Adrian - I have one which goes on every trip as a workhorse backup reel. Of course nothing like the standard of my first choice big Stellas and Saltigas, but a really good value reel for sure. Given the price of a Penn Torque new, you might be able to find something like a Saltiga 6000 GTZ 2nd hand for similar.  Or a Twinpower 12000 maybe?

Eg this Saltiga 6000 sold here recently for about the price (?) as the larger Penn Torques: http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php?topic=3491.0

I thought the larger  Penn Torques were quite slow speed,  aimed at surfcasting and jigging?
Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 11:05:20 PM by Mark Harris

Adrian Braun

April 14, 2011, 12:04:51 AM
The penn 7-9 are 5.1:0. Not slow but not fast too.

Of your Stellas and Saltigas, which one do you consider better or more reliable?  Stella or Saltiga?

By "star",  I meant very good rather than star drag :) :).

Nothing wrong with a Saragossa 18000F Adrian - I have one which goes on every trip as a workhorse backup reel. Of course nothing like the standard of my first choice big Stellas and Saltigas, but a really good value reel for sure. Given the price of a Penn Torque new, you might be able to find something like a Saltiga 6000 GTZ 2nd hand for similar.  Or a Twinpower 12000 maybe?

Eg this Saltiga 6000 sold here recently for about the price (?) as the larger Penn Torques: http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php?topic=3491.0

I thought the larger  Penn Torques were quite slow speed,  aimed at surfcasting and jigging?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 14, 2011, 12:13:22 AM
Oh, not that question again :).

I really like both ranges Adrian and would not really care to choose between them. I suppose it would be fair (in my mind at least) to say that Saltigas have less to go wrong with them and probably win on reliability. Stellas though are a whole lot sexier and just more pleasant to use. You would not be disappointed with either.

Adrian Braun

April 14, 2011, 01:23:35 AM
Oh, not that question again :).

I really like both ranges Adrian and would not really care to choose between them. I suppose it would be fair (in my mind at least) to say that Saltigas have less to go wrong with them and probably win on reliability. Stellas though are a whole lot sexier and just more pleasant to use. You would not be disappointed with either.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Much valued  :)

tim watson

April 14, 2011, 03:46:58 AM
Hi

You get what you pay for is an old saying here in the uk. i have the PENN slammer reels in the largest model and they performed well in the florida keys on some decent bull sharks. I know a chap who has worked with Penn for over 30+ years and he was an engineer too and what he dont know about reels probably aint worth knowing. I know the penn reels that I have used only go to about10kgs drag and were from the u.s and they reckon that the reel yr talking about goes to about 20kgs drag max. if you email him he will give you the low down.

there TRQ multipiliers are the NUTS though!

You can get him on    pennservicing@hotmai?l.co.uk

He is as honest as the day is long, and will let you know what you need to know. ;)

if its cheaper by a way there's a reason.........