MarkR

Leader positioning before the cast
March 31, 2007, 01:50:50 PM
Hi guys,

I know there are pros and cons with both methods but what do u guys prefer and why?

1) Have the leader wrapped around the spool (for a couple of turns) before the cast

2) Just have the leader long enough so that it places just above the bail arm roller before the cast
Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 01:53:37 PM by MarkR

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Leader positioning before the cast
March 31, 2007, 04:12:26 PM
Hi Mark,

I would have to say that i prefer 1 - a couple/few turns on the reel. My most commonly used leader length would be around 3.5/4 metres, this gives me some turns on the reel and a drop of around 1.5 metres which i believe is a must for the proper casting technique. I would have to physically measure it one day but i believe a relatively long drop from the rod tip is essential.

With all that said, i do use short leaders too but not as often. I prefer to be casting with the mono shock leader rather than the braid which feels uncomfortable.

You can also use shorter leaders that make the connection postion much further up in the guides or even just outside the tip. Often these are used in conjunction with a slim profile connection such as Midknot etc and when used outside the tip help to eliminate wind knots - i.e. the braid travelling faster than the shock leader, or the braid forming loops within loops. I guess it is all personal preference and what the conditions and underwater terrain dictate on the day.
Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 04:16:52 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 31, 2007, 05:49:09 PM
I always have a few turns of the leader on the spool . I prefer casting with the finger on the mono than the braid, even when using the finger glove. For where I fish, that extra bit of mono leader helps alot with abrasion resistance.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 31, 2007, 07:05:37 PM
Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 11:19:33 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 31, 2007, 08:42:46 PM
Twisted leader , short bimini in the braid, and loop-loop connection gets rid of that.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 02, 2007, 10:16:44 PM
Greg - I agree with Andrew. You don't want to use an albright for a popping knot. You're much better off using a twisted leader with a loop to loop connection or a single line of braid to leader connection like a midknot or FG knot. For jigging, I don't really care as long as it fits through the guides.
If it swims; I want to catch it!