Steve Li

Re: Daiwa Saltist or Seagate. Good Enough???
January 02, 2012, 04:44:44 AM
True but 5,1:1 is better than 4,9:1 as on the 4500Z  ;)

You just got me thinking....... arrrrgh!!!! The Blast has got 98cm per retrieve compared to 110cm on a 4500H. Do you reckon the shorter line retrieval rate will make any significant difference in working stick baits or poppers???  :)

Frederic Kullin

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
January 02, 2012, 05:58:54 AM
Im probably not the best person to give you an answer on this one since I never fished for GT:s. I use mine mostly for softbaits but sometimes I throw smaller poppers and stickbaits after coldwater species here in Norway and dont have any problems with that. But I know there is guys that use low gear reels (jigging reels) for popping even if its not the best solution. This reel is some where in the middle since the Hg version is 5,7:1 and the Pg is 4,9:1 so its definetly a better option than the Pg but ofcourse not the optimal choice. I would rather sacrifice a bit speed than quality if you ask me. You can always wind a bit faster if you need but its hard to wind at all with a broken reel.... ;)

P.s. if you look in the partslist of a regular 4500 you can replace some of the missing bearings were they use nylon bushings so you come even closer in quality with the fullblood Saltiga.
Fish isnt caught from the couch you got to be there....

Ryan Robinson

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
January 03, 2012, 07:05:04 AM
Hi guys, Has anyone had any experience with the 6500 saltist?

Robbo

Gavin Chau

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 03, 2012, 12:13:49 PM
Hi guys, Has anyone had any experience with the 6500 saltist?

i've hooked some big kings on mine but haven't used it since i bought a stella... my mate recently landed a 24kg king on one landbased on a popper (80lb braid) and other mates have landed 120kg black marlin off theirs from the boat.... he said using a saltist on a marlin absolutely killed him though! 1/4 of a turn of the handle each time...

from what I've seen they seem ok (not sure how they will be in the long run though)

Ryan Robinson

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
January 03, 2012, 05:57:43 PM
Thanks Gavin,

I dont have the coin to gear up with stellas and saltigas for my first trip, so i was thinking that the 6500 saltist could be a great option, considering its only $280. I know its not going to last a lifetime but i think it will do for now.
(sorry for hijacking the thread).

Robbo

Steve Li

January 04, 2012, 02:45:08 AM
Thanks Gavin,

I dont have the coin to gear up with stellas and saltigas for my first trip, so i was thinking that the 6500 saltist could be a great option, considering its only $280. I know its not going to last a lifetime but i think it will do for now.
(sorry for hijacking the thread).

Robbo

When and where are you gonna fish?? Would like to hear about how the reel performed......  ;)

Anyone fished with either the Saltist (4500H/6500H) or Seagate (4500H) over a prolonged period???? Very keen to find out about its shields, gears and drag after some use. Did they do justice for their price???   ;D

Gavin Chau

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 04, 2012, 11:30:16 AM
When and where are you gonna fish?? Would like to hear about how the reel performed...... 

Anyone fished with either the Saltist (4500H/6500H) or Seagate (4500H) over a prolonged period? Very keen to find out about its shields, gears and drag after some use. Did they do justice for their price???   

lol - what are you trying to say john? ;D EDIT: john?? where did i get john from? I meant Steve!!! sorry... fished this morning before work - only had 2hrs sleep

Ryan,

what kind of charter are you thinking of going on? I've never been on one but it sounds like some of these operators in the more remote areas can get you more hookups on trophy fish in one day than you could in a lifetime... if your budget can stretch to a second hand stella, saltiga or twinpower you'd probably feel more confident 
Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 04:55:58 PM by gavin chau

Jonas Holmsgard

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 04, 2012, 06:50:06 PM
I don't own a Saltist myself, but on a recent trip to Panama that I arranged five of the guys in my group used 6500s that they bought for the trip. They did not want to spend more as they might not do any more popping for years (not much use for Stellas or Saltigas in our local swedish waters:-( Their reels all performed well for the seven days we fished hard. The guys caught roosterfish to 35 kilos, cuberas to about the same size, yellowfin to about 25 kg, sailfish to 60 kg and bull shark around 65 kg. They fought and lost some very big sharks that made very long runs on maybe 12 kilos drag. All the guys fished with 80 lb Tufline and none of them had any problems with their Saltists. I have no idea about durability but as a budget option for the odd trip they seem ok.

Jonas
Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:06:57 PM by Jonas Holmsgard

Ryan Robinson

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
January 04, 2012, 08:23:59 PM
Gavin,
Im going to fiji and am going to do 3, maybe 4 day trips out of mango bay in early may. Its going to be my first designated GT trip, with a bit of jigging thrown in. Ive caught GTs before but that was several years ago on some trips i did to seisa, cape york.

Thanks for the info Jonas, thats exactly what i wanted to hear.

Robbo

Steve Li

January 05, 2012, 06:01:12 AM
I don't own a Saltist myself, but on a recent trip to Panama that I arranged five of the guys in my group used 6500s that they bought for the trip. They did not want to spend more as they might not do any more popping for years (not much use for Stellas or Saltigas in our local swedish waters:-( Their reels all performed well for the seven days we fished hard. The guys caught roosterfish to 35 kilos, cuberas to about the same size, yellowfin to about 25 kg, sailfish to 60 kg and bull shark around 65 kg. They fought and lost some very big sharks that made very long runs on maybe 12 kilos drag. All the guys fished with 80 lb Tufline and none of them had any problems with their Saltists. I have no idea about durability but as a budget option for the odd trip they seem ok.

Jonas

Yeah thanks Jonas! I feel more confident and convinced after hearing that! They will be added to my arsenal......  :D