Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
How many poppers ?
November 06, 2007, 10:12:44 PM
Just wondering how many lures you guy's take on a trip, can you take too many  ???

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: How many poppers ?
November 06, 2007, 10:27:09 PM
you can't ever have too many lures, Chris!  ;D

For me, I look at taking around 30 poppers/stickbaits for a 6 day GT trip. I will vary the mix depending on whether the location is better for stickbaits or poppers. I haven't yet managed to lose all of them on one trip and I hope that never happens!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: How many poppers ?
November 07, 2007, 06:33:00 PM
As Brandon mentioned, a lot has to do with location - 30 also sounds like a good number. Better to take more than regret taking too little.

I would be working out what kind of structure and depths you will be encountering prior so that i could prepare my lure bag accordingly. It goes without saying that you should have a good cross-section so that you can be prepared for anything.

Most guys are after trophy GTs - by far, most trophy fish are taken on big slow-worked bloopers. A majority of lures in my packing would be this but definately not limited to. Stickbaits are deadly but take a seat to a blooper for me.

You may also like to break up the number by what conditions they can handle in case you encounter varied weather and ocean conditions - cover all your bases.