Paul OLeary

Snap, Yak'n, Pop (Now with Video)
April 23, 2011, 03:18:33 PM
Encouraged by my success with poppers two weeks back, I hit the water at the crack again yesterday, Good Friday.

The fish were in close all day today.  I hooked my first longy before Id drifted to the sharknets. Tailwrapped and on 50lb I had it to the boat in under 5 mins. Today I wanted to take home my girlfriend's first longtail, so I quickly released it. Right about then her only hookup for the day spat the hooks after the first run.

Next up two guys in an outrigger canoe had a huge sweetie on and when they tried to land it they rolled the boat and lost the rod and reel.  :shock:  I asked him later and he was happy to lose the rod for the good bag they ended up with.

I had another good longy on but ended up tangled in another line and lure and took the pressure off for but a few seconds... goneski!

As the tuna have been slug shy the past few weeks, I spent the day throwing poppers. I got a 2kg GT first up on 20lb and the little Halco Rooster 105 in King Brown.

I released it and a few casts later, hooked another longtail but wasn't up to the challenge.

Whilst trolling up to the rock, this bloke smashed the LP120 and gave me a good old dusting for a while. Definitely an upgrade from the 2-3kg models Ive been landing but still not caught on a popper.

A good cast into a healthy boil had me hooked up to what I thought was another GT when this fellow popped up. I got one on a popper in WA a few years back but this is my first at home.  :)

That little Fat'R's popper was on fire. The next boil I got a shot into, a good longy nailed it. Having turned its head back to the boat after the first run I thought I had him. I saw the leader for a brief moment before he turned and went ballistic. Hanging on I hit the pedals but the line went slack. I looked down to see the braid to backing knot had parted. 9lb mono backing just wasnt enough. Not happy about leaving 50m of braid in the water. Not to mention the popper in the fish.

Not a lot I can do but be better prepared and try to improve my knots. I switched to the fg knot on all my 30lb braid to 40lb leader connections but have struggled to get one to tie satisfactorily in 20lb braid to 25lb leader knots. Does anyone use the fg knot on lighter line? Is there a secret to tying it I'm missing? Is there a better knot?

1:00pm amd we decided to call it a day. After packing up we stood above the beach and watched a huge school of longtails busting up in the bay, 60m from shore.
Awesome day.
Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 02:02:22 PM by Paul OLeary

Jason Chiu

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Snap, Yak'n, Pop
April 23, 2011, 04:18:02 PM
Great report! =D. Is it hard to pop when you are sitting down?
I actually use the FG on 8lb leader when I tie the knot at home and can be bothered. Just need many more weaves than normal. Not sure if there's a secret but if as long as you make sure the weaves are tight it should be good. It can certainly be difficult when you are rushing to do one because of a hot bite though! I remember trying when I was off the rocks; windy, raining and I had just been busted off.. that FG started unraveling on my first retrieve.

Paul OLeary

April 23, 2011, 04:38:19 PM
Great report! =D. Is it hard to pop when you are sitting down?
I actually use the FG on 8lb leader when I tie the knot at home and can be bothered. Just need many more weaves than normal. Not sure if there's a secret but if as long as you make sure the weaves are tight it should be good. It can certainly be difficult when you are rushing to do one because of a hot bite though! I remember trying when I was off the rocks; windy, raining and I had just been busted off.. that FG started unraveling on my first retrieve.
Jason, small poppers havent presented a problem sitting down but I havent chucked anything bigger than a Halco 135 yet. The 105s pop quite easily and sitting down encourages me to use the right angle on the rod. 
I have only landed smaller GTs to 5kg so far. Hooking a big GT could be a different story however the mirage drive allows me to pull the fish away from the rocks leaving both hands free to fight the fish. It works well on other large fish, no reason why I cant employ the same technique on bigger brutes.

Thanks for the response on the FG and light leader. Im going to sit down and try a little harder. If I bust off on the kayak I usually just tie a double uni or if I have wind ons with me tie a bimini.

Paul OLeary

May 01, 2011, 01:56:04 PM
Heres a short video of the last few sessions fish
Kayak Fishing Caloundra for Longtails

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Snap, Yak'n, Pop (Now with Video)
May 01, 2011, 02:15:12 PM
Here is a Yak longie for ya Paul although this site isnt really about Kayak fishing.
This fellow took me 1 hour 15minutes from the yak and went 24kg.
I gave the kayak fishing away after witnesses enormous sharks engulfing landbased hooked longtails.

Pete
Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 10:27:20 AM by Peter Morris

Rhet Tainton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 01, 2011, 07:56:49 PM
A very impressive video Paul..............that sub must have made you pucker a few times until you realised what it actually was!

Cenovito Zamudio

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 05, 2011, 08:31:36 PM
great vid

Peter Lowe

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 07, 2011, 09:29:27 AM
Hi Mate,

That video is so well done - very good to watch, i appreciate the time it takes to put it together.

You make that all look like so much fun, clearly you love it and are good at it - great stuff - Thank you !

RESPECT

8)

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 28, 2011, 02:46:02 AM
Hi Paul,

Excellent video! What cam did you use?

Greetings,
Dan

Trent

May 31, 2011, 06:28:31 PM
Great video mate well done, thanks for sharing

Sam Owen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 31, 2011, 07:37:52 PM
Awesome fishing from the yak! Makes me think twice bout selling my hobie now  ::)

Paul OLeary

June 01, 2011, 05:55:55 PM
Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

Dan, the steady video was taken on a gopro HD mounted on the ama (outrigger of the kayak). The shaky stuff was taken with a panasonic lumix ft1 held in the hand.
They do take a long time to put together but are worth it in the end. Otherwise I end up with hours of footage I will never watch again. Condensed into a short video its easy to watch.

Sam, dont sell that Hobie. Youre welcome to come out with us any weekend if you live in SEQ.

If you're interested in some excellent 'Black from a Yak' footage watch the Fishing Australia Episode (WIN TV) airing on June 11. Unfortunately we dont get to see what I consider to be the best fishing show in the country in the big three capitals, but the rest of the country do.

Rob Pax and I tagged and released a 100kg+ black from a tandem sailing yak (Hobie TI) at the Block and Cheese about 10kms off Jervis Bay in Feb this year. It took us 3 hours to boat the beast. Ive seen the episode. Its worth watching.

Dan Wulf

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 01, 2011, 06:47:21 PM
Hi Paul,

Thanks! I have a GoPro HD  but have not yet tried to make more serious shootings. The quality looks fine! I assume you use the resolution R5 (1080p) and not the extreme wide angle position R4 (960p).

Tight lines!

Dan

Paul OLeary

June 01, 2011, 07:10:34 PM
Dan, I mix it up a bit but Im not much of a photographer. Normally just set and forget. Ive had mine down 20m diving, In the snow, mounted on motor, road and mountain bikes, cars. They really do go anywhere. I really like the promo vid on the gopro.com site. Awesome what they can do in the right hands.

Downside is the sound isnt so good when in the wp case and they dont perform that well in low light. But for an action camera in that price range they can't be beat. I have broken pretty much every brand of wp cam on the yak in the past few years. Nothing is as rugged as the gopros.

One thing to remember is they do fog up in a marine environment. Specially if you leave it running.
 You do need to buy the moisture pads by gopro. Annoying, but the price of good Vs bad footage.
CHeck some of my other vids on youtube (HobiePaulo). Most are shot with a gopro but some are from when I had an SD model.
Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 08:49:36 PM by Paul OLeary